Where is a good place to buy a helmet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is a good place to buy a helmet

for CCA driving school events? I need to do it mail order. Thanks.

Don't Do It!!!

Only buy a helmet mail order if you know for sure that it fits you properly.

I strongly suggest that you find a way to try 3-6 different ones on *your* head.

Our heads are three dimensional. A simple tape around the head measurement more or less tells you if you'll be able to get it onto your head and that's about it.

The helmet needs to fit snugly enough to be safe and loosely enough that you don't rip your ears off or get a headache after several minutes.

If you absolutely must mail order, get a clear return policy in case things don't work out.

I went through 6-7 helmet in-store fittings until I found a brand and style that fit and that had a large eyeport since I wear glasses.

Stan

Comment

I used www.ogracing.com and they had a very nice return policy. Check their website to see if they still have the same policy as they had a few years ago, but if I remember correctly, the only cost in trying the helmet was shipping (If you sent it back).
      Bryan K.
      Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

I agree with Stan. I was originally going to purchase a helmet through an online company but I had a lot of "what-ifs" running through my head. I found a place in LA that had the helmet I wanted and I didn't have to pay shipping.

If you can, see if there is anyone local who sells safety equipment.
        1988 M3
        2012 335is
        1993 Civic Si

Comment

MOTORCYCLE SHOP!..

On Tuesday I visited my local HONDA Bike dealer and was amazed of the choice of helmets available. They had everything you could imagine.. Some people prefer to pay up-front cash for their helmets, like 2-3 hundred dollars... I found a good open faced one to match my car for 49.99..

Check them out..

Richie
          91 M3
          Richie
          In an Embassy Somewhere..

91 M3 - SOLD but not forgotten (to J.R. Nagy)
          03 Land Cruiser with the works
          06 Royal Enfield 350

Comment

From my motorbike days, I remember some people had Bell shaped heads, some Arai and some Shoei. They're all slightly different and I'd definately recommend trying different brands to find the best fit.
            Steve
            Scottish Cecotto

Comment

I definitely agree with Stan, you MUST try a helmet on before buying it.
              -Han

Comment

the only helmet you shoudl mail order is an identical replacement for the one you currently have.

Then again you could be ghetto go to a bike shop find one tha fits right then buy it online for less.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxFlares
                  Then again you could be ghetto go to a bike shop find one tha fits right then buy it online for less.
                  that's me

I went to a speed shop and tried a few on for size to get an idea of what I needed the shopped online for a good price.

I ended up buying from http://www.helmetcity.com

Comment

Most Track Event Tech inspectors want to see a Snell SA-XXXX rated helmet. Many motorcycle helmets only have DOT rating (not as good a test as Snells) so you'll be outa luck. There are also Snell M-XXXX ratings for motorcycle helmets. The SA rated helmets pass different tests and among other things have nomex linings that are fire safe. Fire is much less of an issue for bikes since you're out in the open and tend to separate from the bike in a crash.

DOTs tend to be the cheapest, then Ms and finally SA's due to the extra tests and nomex and lower build quantities. DOTs might be okay in some autocross groups, and open face are popular there. For the track I think it's best to go full face, unless you have a 10 dollar head.

I learned that you had to try helmets on the hard way and at first was sad that the hot looking model I had my eyes on just did not fit me noggin. I have a largish head and glasses and somehow Simpson works best for me

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
                      DOTs might be okay in some autocross groups, and open face are popular there. For the track I think it's best to go full face, unless you have a 10 dollar head.
                      Stan, when you say open faced helmet, do you mean one which does not have the visor, or one which does not wrap all the way around the front of the face? I currently have the Bell SRPro helmet which has no visor and a very large viewport.
                      Bryan K.
                      Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

Am MA rated helmmet is rated by Snell for motorcycle use and is tested for one large impact. An SA rated helmet is rated by Snell and tested for two impacts. The main impact and then the secondary impact of the helmet hitting and object in the car. As stated earlier they have nomex in them as well. Get the very best you can afford. If you have a 50.00 dollar head go get a 50.00 helmet. For me I will spend what ever it takes to get the best available for what I can afford. Buying a helmet is not just so you can get into a drivers school. It is to save your life in case you crash.

Crashes at drivers schools have risen over the years. Get the best you can get.

Jordan
                        "Never lift"

Comment

Working...
                        X