Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

how would you build your engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would you build your engine

ok, I have about 7400 dollers and I have a blowen engiine. I'm in the process of taking the engine apart to see what the real damage is, I think I have to replace the block and the pistons but not sure. i don't know if the valves are screw'd up or not, same with the rods and the crank. so here is the question.

if you had 7400 to 8000 to spend on my problem what would you do with it to fix it up.

If the motor had that kind of damage, then I would try to use that money and buy another running one. You would have to spend everything you had just on replacement parts. Pull the engine apart and check everything out before you make a decision.

Comment

I know but there is always going to 2.5 route. I know I said I wanted to keep the 2.3 but there really is no point if there is that much damage

Comment

IF you need a new block, then you also need new rods, crank, pistons, etc, that stuff is expensive!!

I think the a 2.3l block is around $1600 alone, then if you add timing chain parts $1000, crank $600, rods, $750, your money is almost gone!!

If you do the 2.5 the parts a little more, but the block is a lot more, and you either need to buy oil squirters or seal the attachment off, the squirters are like $1000 alone.

If your the head needs a lot of work to, that can easily take up 3-4k to fix.

$7800, will get you a 2.5l bottom end using your block and changing all the necessary parts out.

FIST, find out what you need!! You may get lucky and be able to get a lot of parts used!

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

8k will cover S50 swap :cool:

Comment

check with racerX, he had a bunch of s14 parts for sale for cheap. i.e. block and head.
            "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
            "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
            onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

I have euro 1995 s50 m3 motor complete for $6k
              or a used 2.3 s14 for $3500 (no leaks)
              I have good used block with new bottom end gasket set, stock pistons and rods $900
              2.3 cylinder head complete for $900
              brand new 2.5 wiseco pistons with 2.5 head gasket for $650
              2.5 afm with turner 2.5 chip for $300
              tranny with 79k $700

Comment

$7800 for a 2.5 bottom end using your existing block? The Turner bottom end kit is only $2150 or something and uses the existing block. Why would it cost $7800????

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
                IF you need a new block, then you also need new rods, crank, pistons, etc, that stuff is expensive!!

I think the a 2.3l block is around $1600 alone, then if you add timing chain parts $1000, crank $600, rods, $750, your money is almost gone!!

If you do the 2.5 the parts a little more, but the block is a lot more, and you either need to buy oil squirters or seal the attachment off, the squirters are like $1000 alone.

If your the head needs a lot of work to, that can easily take up 3-4k to fix.

$7800, will get you a 2.5l bottom end using your block and changing all the necessary parts out.

FIST, find out what you need!! You may get lucky and be able to get a lot of parts used!
                Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
                1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

Originally posted by T2E30
                  $7800 for a 2.5 bottom end using your existing block? The Turner bottom end kit is only $2150 or something and uses the existing block. Why would it cost $7800????
                  There is also labor, you do have to test and bore the block. Timing chain parts $1000, new oil pump, good time to change...
                  clutch, hoses, belts, vacuum lines, it's all the little parts that add up and cost you in the end.

Of course if you do it your self you save $$.

My engine even with all the parts I got the receipt from the builder had 4 pages of parts.

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

I'm doing most of the work myself. Ok so I guess the 2.5L is out of the question. If you guys had 7500 and you were building the stock engine, give me some ideas to get some more horse. I can get a block for 1200, and rods and pistons for like 1400 for both. what would you do with like 4900 dollers. I think my crank is still ok. Same with my head. Everything is stock on the car right now other than the gas slotted rotors all the way around. So give me some idea's cause I'm moving to Cali in the end of june so I need to know what I need to replace to have the car in good shape, what parts that I should look for to see if they are worn

Comment

$8k could get you a mild 2.5. Ron Checca runs $8k- $12k and up.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I would without question put a 2.5L crankshaft in the motor, its absolutely worth the cost if the motor is apart. Otherwise, you just have a stock rebuilt motor.. in terms of resale and performance the 2.5 is a value.

The S14 is one of the most expensive BMW engines to rebuild (and its only a 4 banger!) due to its fragile nature, high-dollar parts, and amount of items that are replaced. Due to the smaller size of our shop we are able to offer very competitive pricing, and with an engine as testy as the S14 - i would not recommend building it yourself. Here are some prices from us for you. These are complete long blocks reusing your externals. For a complete list of whats included in the build please email me.

-Stock S14 rebuild is $4650, which includes forged custom pistons.

-The 2.5L option moves the cost to $5750, which adds the crankshaft, and mild cylinder head work.

-The 2.5L with Evo camhaft setup for a complete 2.5 replica (sans big valves) is $6400.

-From there you can spend big bucks on coatings, big valves, big cams, springs, etc, but these are within your budget. If the block needs replacing, a 2.5L block will be supplied and you can use the cast factory E3 pistons that come with it. Destroyed blocks are uncommon, but in the event there would be an additional $1800 charge for the new unit, which deletes forged pistons and adds the E3 units. To upgrade back to forged would be an additional $500.

In sum, if you do need a new block you could have a 2.5L with a full OE Evo III spec bottom end with mild headwork for $7550. A little over $8k with the Evo cams.

If you are interested in further quotes or even just parts - shoot me an email, [email protected] We do offer bottom end kits, etc. Or call the shop, M-F 10-4 EST, Pete McHenry - (336)-761-0643.

Thanks, hope we can help! If not, I hope you get it sorted and regardless i'd try to go 2.5, its worth it. If you don't go 2.5L crank, we have used cranks and we also can offer forged pistons that will take it out to almost 2.4L with just boring.
                        Alex McHenry

Comment

Working...
                        X