CF Airbox Brake Fluid Reservoir Relocation Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF Airbox Brake Fluid Reservoir Relocation Bracket

For everyone who has the CF airbox and hasn't relocated their brake fluid reservoir (like me for the last 6 months). Here's something I made really quick that might help people in the future. For some reason this is the last thing people end up taking care of after the airbox install and I couldn't find too many pictures of other peoples solutions online. I just bought a thick steel plate from home depot and cut it into a U shape and bent this around the strut tower, took about an hour. Most of it was figuring out what I was going to do to attach this thing so hopefully it will save other people some time.

My previous solution was a zip tie and a bunch of duct tape, so this should make tech inspection a little simpler.

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Funny. I did the same exact thing.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Do you have a larger picture? :gotcha:
      Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Lol I'll fix it for you.

Comment

I'm curious if every CF airbox owner is making their own bracket or having a shop make it. Is there not a kit available commercially?

Comment

Diy ;-)

massi[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
            1989 M3 racecar
            e39 Touring

Comment

If you are using the Sparco strut brace, this provided a good place for me.

Just a small plate welded on, drilled and tapped for the Allen bolts, then the brake fluid reservoir bolts to a simple bracket. If I need to unbolt it (like to take off the strut bar) 30 seconds unscrewing the Allen bolts is all that is needed.

Threads like this are useful. It keeps everyone who is installing a CF airbox from having to re-invent the wheel.

Comment

Lee, I imagine if anyone is making a kit, it would be you that first come to my mind

I think folks will be willing to pay for a sturdy, professional looking bracket (no offense to the DIY'ers). Ever thought about it?

Comment

^^^ I like leaving a little bit of personalization as every car is different. Different stress bar, different airbox. Also, the bracket is easily made from a piece of aluminum angle. Cut, drill a few 8mm holes and you can show off your handy work. This is part of the fun of owning a race car.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

Comment

Ironhead, that's a great looking bracket.

I have a Sparco brace also and thought about using the side mounting hole to secure the bracket. But yours looks much easier to install and access.

Comment

Agreed Ironhead that looks very good. I would not have thought of that! Then again I also had to ditch the sparco bar because it didn't fit around my box :-(

Comment

I just got done fabricating one of these. I am using my new HVLP to paint it this weekend I hope. I used some aluminum stock, bent it and has an additional section welded but it looks 100 % seamless. I used rivet nuts as well ....quick and easy access. I will post a few shots when I am finished with paint.

Comment

Haha are we all working on the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLang View Post
                            Haha are we all working on the same thing?
                            Sounds like it. In the Northeast it's been colder than shit so, I have the heat on in the garage and I am getting around to some small details that I put off this summer. Work has been so busy, I haven't been able to get some of the things done that I wanted to but I am going to try to do some things this winter.

I am actually very surprised that somebody hasn't come out with a bracket but I too, like the "one off" thing. I actually got quite a bit of satisfaction making mine as simple as it is.
                            :blues:

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
                              I actually got quite a bit of satisfaction making mine as simple as it is.
                              :blues:
                              Hahaha, I sent the photo of it to my girlfriend with the caption "look what I made!" her response was "That's great! uh... what is it?"

Comment

Working...
                              X