Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikos
    replied
    Thanks to the poster(s) showing their brackets!! I got a headache trying to find a decent solution...I've got way too many projects going on right now across two cars...

One more item to check off.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    I am right there with you...rivet nuts are incredible. They are nearly impossible to rip out. I had a few test pieces where I tested their strength and resistance to pull out and it was insane. I actually couldn't pull them out altogether. I got most of it out and had to hit the rest with a drill bit. They are extremely robust. I love the fact that they make installation of brackets and other things very clean, serviceable etc...etc....etc.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
    I used rivet nuts as well ....quick and easy access.
    Dude, I discovered rivet nuts a few years ago, and fell in love. Now my car has dozens of them in places where I used to need two wrenches and two hands to remove something. Those little rivet nuts make working on the car so much easier I can't even believe the difference. I have found them to be pretty much foolproof also. As long as I select the correct rivet nut for the panel (thickness) in question, I have never had one fail. Even if you don't have the correct rivet nut, often you can use a washer or whatever to adapt one.

I guess I am saying, I :heart: rivet nuts!

Leave a comment:

• Drummer
    replied
    strut bar

Does anyone have a good solution for a strut bar that will fit over a huge carbon fiber airbox,but will still have acess to camber plates?

Leave a comment:

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    classic...

Leave a comment:

• AndrewLang
    replied
    Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
    I actually got quite a bit of satisfaction making mine as simple as it is.
    :blues:
    Hahaha, I sent the photo of it to my girlfriend with the caption "look what I made!" her response was "That's great! uh... what is it?"

Leave a comment:

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewLang View Post
    Haha are we all working on the same thing?
    Sounds like it. In the Northeast it's been colder than shit so, I have the heat on in the garage and I am getting around to some small details that I put off this summer. Work has been so busy, I haven't been able to get some of the things done that I wanted to but I am going to try to do some things this winter.

I am actually very surprised that somebody hasn't come out with a bracket but I too, like the "one off" thing. I actually got quite a bit of satisfaction making mine as simple as it is.
    :blues:

Leave a comment:

• AndrewLang
    replied
    Haha are we all working on the same thing?

Leave a comment:

• ///Mflossin
    replied
    I just got done fabricating one of these. I am using my new HVLP to paint it this weekend I hope. I used some aluminum stock, bent it and has an additional section welded but it looks 100 % seamless. I used rivet nuts as well ....quick and easy access. I will post a few shots when I am finished with paint.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewLang
    replied
    Agreed Ironhead that looks very good. I would not have thought of that! Then again I also had to ditch the sparco bar because it didn't fit around my box :-(

Leave a comment:

• M-tinker
    replied
    Ironhead, that's a great looking bracket.

I have a Sparco brace also and thought about using the side mounting hole to secure the bracket. But yours looks much easier to install and access.

Leave a comment:

• LeeVuong
    replied
    ^^^ I like leaving a little bit of personalization as every car is different. Different stress bar, different airbox. Also, the bracket is easily made from a piece of aluminum angle. Cut, drill a few 8mm holes and you can show off your handy work. This is part of the fun of owning a race car.

Leave a comment:

• M-tinker
    replied
    Lee, I imagine if anyone is making a kit, it would be you that first come to my mind

I think folks will be willing to pay for a sturdy, professional looking bracket (no offense to the DIY'ers). Ever thought about it?

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    If you are using the Sparco strut brace, this provided a good place for me.

Just a small plate welded on, drilled and tapped for the Allen bolts, then the brake fluid reservoir bolts to a simple bracket. If I need to unbolt it (like to take off the strut bar) 30 seconds unscrewing the Allen bolts is all that is needed.

Threads like this are useful. It keeps everyone who is installing a CF airbox from having to re-invent the wheel.

Leave a comment:

• LeeVuong
    replied
    Diy ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X