SI board part number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI board part number?

Can someone tell me what the part number is for the SI board.

Can I buy the board itself or should I just solder in new batteries?

Cheers.

A lot cheap to solder in new batteries. You can get them radio Shack. Check out the achives for more info. I just performed this procedure about 3 months ago.

Good luck
    2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
    1995 Porsche 993
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
    2004 Ford F-150 FX4
    2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
    1985 BMW M635CSI
    2001 BMW M3
    1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

A new SI Board is about $120, sorry I don't have the part number. Mine is s acting up also, I'm going to try soldering in a remote battery holder and popping in some new batteries.

FYI, You've probably seen this..
      http://www.e30m3performance.com/main...d/SI_Board.htm

Comment

When I did mine, I found various cracks in the circuit board tracks as well. Simply soldered over thr dodgy tracks, fitted new batteries and it's been fine ever since.
        Steve
        Scottish Cecotto

Comment

While you're on the subject...I took my '88 M3 for a short ride this weekend and noticed a new problem with the instrument cluster, new because I didn't have this problem last fall when I put it away for the winter. The temp. gauge vibrates back and forth when the RPM rises above about 4,000. It moves from hot to cold about 100 times per second. It appears to read normal when RPM's are below 4,000. Any thoughts on where I should begin troubleshooting?

Thanks!
          1988 Diamond Black / track
          2006 4 Runner LTD V8 / DD
          2003 Tahoe Z71 trail / tugger / 225,000 miles (3 trannys, same original engine)
          1992 325ic S52, OBDI, M3 suspension (Finished!) Fast and Fun for the Mom
          2011 Superfly (Nirvana!)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fast325it
            While you're on the subject...I took my '88 M3 for a short ride this weekend and noticed a new problem with the instrument cluster, new because I didn't have this problem last fall when I put it away for the winter. The temp. gauge vibrates back and forth when the RPM rises above about 4,000. It moves from hot to cold about 100 times per second. It appears to read normal when RPM's are below 4,000. Any thoughts on where I should begin troubleshooting?

Thanks!
            I have the same peoblem, see this thread
            http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ighlight=gauge
            I've tried everything but swapping the SI batteries. I hope that will cure it.

Did you disconnect your battery while the car was in storage? That can kill your SI batteries.

Comment

No, I did not disconnect the battery for winter storage. The battery was a bit "low" but the car started right up after it slowly turned over.
              2011 Superfly (Nirvana!)

sigpic

Comment

O.K. Here's the skinny. Apparantly the tach and the temp gauge wiring/inlay are very near to each other on the back of the board. And, the wires could possibly "jump" or move and ground out on each other. The fix is to move these "wires" apart on the back of the board or resolder the connections so as the wires are no longer touching or grounding on each other. I guess it's an easy fix.

My favorite mechanic says he's seen the temp and tach completely swapped on the gauge panel with the temp gauge acting as the tach and the tach acting as the temp gauge. If anyone wants to look into this fix, I'm all ears...
                2011 Superfly (Nirvana!)

sigpic

Comment

Cool, I'll check that out. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X