BMW 1M and E30 M3 Track Footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW 1M and E30 M3 Track Footage

Found this video on another site... hope it's not a repost. Pretty boring for the first 6 minutes, but cool to see these two cars side-by-side.

BMW 1M and E30 M3 Track Footage from Auto Debut on Vimeo.

I just love watching paint dry.
    Another pathetic attempt to capitalize on old history.
    The car performs well enough for it to stand on it's own four wheels.
    If it had 350 plus Nat Asp horsepower, then maybe it could have a an alpha-numeric badge on it's rump, otherwise its just another sporty Bimmer, imo.

m

Comment

I see an M3, and a funny looking car with a badge that has my track wheels on it.
      Photos

Comment

Another pathetic attempt to capitalize on old history.
        +1

the new one looks somewhat swollen, no wonder with 1500kg...

Thomas
        sigpic

Comment

I understand this may be a bit blasphemous but are others a little disappointed like me with some of BMW's latest "creations"? It feels like they have really fallen off the path they started down back when they engineered cars like our beloved e30 M3, the 2002Tii, 3.0 CSL, M635 CSi (the list could go on). But those are all cars from yesteryear...where are the cars of today that are setting the new benchmark(s)? Granted, there have been a few cool offerings like the outrageous V10 and the introduction of twin turbos on the 1 and 3 series but it just doesn't seem like they have landed another benchmark car like those from their past.

But maybe BMW isn't entirely at fault here. Could it instead be that there are too many other automotive manufacturers out there churring out "BMW clones" and trying to ride in on BMW's coattails? And are these "lesser Bimmers" causing the true ultimate driving machines to fade into traffic overlooked and under appreciated?

So I say stop playing it so safe BMW! Give us a new 8-series...or dare I even think it...some kind of game changing 9-series marvel? It has been a long time since a new BMW has really "wowed" me. But when I see another e30 M3, or the Dinan 635 Turbo that resides in my hometown or an 8-series and even the occasional 2002 (even if it is a little beat up)...I know I stop and take noticed and a big smile will inevitably creep over my face. There is no mistaking any of those cars for anything other than a BMW and I think BMW needs to return to those roots.

That's just my rant and opinion...but you can rest assured that you won't seem me in a new Bimmer any time soon. I will take that money and build my e30 up to run circles around the new stuff! :evilnah:
          “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
          Jeremy Clarkson - BBC Top Gear
          sigpic

Comment

1M is plenty fast. So clearly most of us here, the minority bmw fan club, are looking for something special and not fast. Take for example E90 320Si that wasn't sold in US. It wasn't fast but it was special, it had a purpose, a dedicated engine and light weight not to mention low production numbers. AUDI has its R8, Merc has its variety of Black Series AMGs, BMW has nothing. The M3 at this points isn't a type of car that you can qualify as flagship, though BMW thinks so.

1M could have been it, all it needed was some lightweight bits and pieces and a dedicated proper motorsport engine, though anything you sell in gazillion quantities is going to take the special factor away no matter what it is. Instead they prematurely played the "e30 m3 remake" card... so what's next? The goofy efficientdynamics prototype?

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
              1M is plenty fast. So clearly most of us here, the minority bmw fan club, are looking for something special and not fast. Take for example E90 320Si that wasn't sold in US. It wasn't fast but it was special, it had a purpose, a dedicated engine and light weight not to mention low production numbers. AUDI has its R8, Merc has its variety of Black Series AMGs, BMW has nothing. The M3 at this points isn't a type of car that you can qualify as flagship, though BMW thinks so.

1M could have been it, all it needed was some lightweight bits and pieces and a dedicated proper motorsport engine, though anything you sell in gazillion quantities is going to take the special factor away no matter what it is. Instead they prematurely played the "e30 m3 remake" card... so what's next? The goofy efficientdynamics prototype?

Agreed.

However - out of the lucky few that were chosen to go and test-drive a 1M in Germany, how many of them spoke up and made the ///Marketing people uncomfortable by stating the same? All of them were apparently chosen for their long-term enthusiasm for all things BMW --- did any of them take the opportunity to look the ///Marketing guys in the eye and tell them that their new cars are boring and lacking in real character?

That was their chance, our chance - the chance for enthusiasts to speak up. I see it as a real opportunity that was missed.

This, and the fact that your average consumer wants heated AND cooled cupholders, as well as self-parking cars and 22-inch chrome rims, means that we'll be stuck with shitty new BMW's for years to come.

I'll stick with BMW's designed in the 20th century, thanks.
              -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Originally posted by blaquea8 View Post
                I understand this may be a bit blasphemous but are others a little disappointed like me with some of BMW's latest "creations"? It feels like they have really fallen off the path they started down back when they engineered cars like our beloved e30 M3, the 2002Tii, 3.0 CSL, M635 CSi (the list could go on)...
                That's not blasphemous... Let me show you

I truly feel that the US spec E36 M3 is a more raw / fun car to drive than any of the newer crap from BMW M or non-M that I've had a chance to drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level View Post
                  Agreed.

However - out of the lucky few that were chosen to go and test-drive a 1M in Germany, how many of them spoke up and made the ///Marketing people uncomfortable by stating the same? All of them were apparently chosen for their long-term enthusiasm for all things BMW --- did any of them take the opportunity to look the ///Marketing guys in the eye and tell them that their new cars are boring and lacking in real character?

That was their chance, our chance - the chance for enthusiasts to speak up. I see it as a real opportunity that was missed.

This, and the fact that your average consumer wants heated AND cooled cupholders, as well as self-parking cars and 22-inch chrome rims, means that we'll be stuck with shitty new BMW's for years to come.

I'll stick with BMW's designed in the 20th century, thanks.

I have no idea how the 12 of us were selected, but we all definitely are BMW enthusiasts... 8 countries (3-US, 2 - UK, 1- FR, 1- ESP, 1- SWI, 1- ITA, 1 -GER, 1- CHN) that owned at least as different models of BMWs... (Z4, E30, E30 M3, 5- 135i, 1- 135i Sauber Edition , X5, X1, E36 M3, E46 M3 ZCP, and others I am forgetting.. etc) .... a diverse group. So.. did many us take the M folks to task about the current cars being so heavy? As a matter of fact.... several of us did.... and we even got to do it over beers after dinner or out on the town and then again in the hotel bar!

While I can't say all our requests were immediately well received, I can tell you we had some enthusiastic discussions! [peace]

Some things I can tell you that will happen... M cars will begin to get lighter beginning with the 1M (note deletion of many options yhat add weight on what should be a purist car... DCT, moonroof, etc). Part of the lightening process is smaller motors, (back to the future ala the E30 M3?) so M cars will all be turbo motors.
                  The folks at M have just recently turned over in the last 2 years, and many are young enthusiastic engineers and sales and marketing personnel. The 1M only received a green light it seems because of the extension of the 1 series model.. So the guys at M got to finally tweak the 135... into an M car... which by the way... it really is an awesome car.. I personally have not been as motivated to purchase any BMW in the last 20 years as much as this one..

As far as I am concerned, the 1M is basically an E92 M3 with a motor swap that favors torque (and will be a monster when tuned). a shortened wheelbase, and then placed on a 400 lb diet... ! It's got no sunroof which gives more headroom and it's a car that will have a limited number of buyers.. It's a car that has been designed for the track use, which is even written in the BMW press literature... and ... might make it a lot like the E30 M3... There are no more homologations, and with just 12-18 months to bring the car to market it does not have some of the cool-man tech of other previous M cars,

What you won't see happen is BMW M making complete sports cars.... The M division doesn't directly compete with Porsche (although many times M cars outperform Porsches ;-) but rather with AMG, and Audi RS. All three modify and tune existing chassis, they rarely create a one off chassis like Porsche is able to do. Perhaps more people being vocal will help, but in my opinion it would have to be something that is new and profitable... perhaps a Z2? The next 1M will be lighter than the current car that is coming out now... and will feature a twin turbo 4 cylinder.... Clearly BMW M is looking to churn out many different editions and they are now even doing it for different markets..... so let the creationsim continue... especially if the cars continue to perform well... and from my initial drive of the 1M... I have no doubt it will impress many of you!
                  Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM.
                  Mark Williams
                  Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

This is a really interesting discussion with a lot of good points. I keep asking myself: if BMW created a new ‘real’ M3, would I buy it? Honestly, I am not sure I would. I can’t always say exactly why I love my E30 M3 because I don’t always love it but I know I’ll never sell it. I know that I enjoy driving it, maintaining it and owning it. Likewise, I know that I like my E46 M3 a lot too. It is very comfortable, reliable and plenty fast for around town or on long trips. The A/C and heat work great all the time and it has a nice enough stereo for me. I do know that I will sell that car for my next everyday car at some point.

Would I want a new ‘real’ M3—sure. Would I buy a new ‘real’ M3; I’m not so sure. Perhaps, that is blasphemy!

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
                      I have no idea how the 12 of us were selected, but we all definitely are BMW enthusiasts... 8 countries (3-US, 2 - UK, 1- FR, 1- ESP, 1- SWI, 1- ITA, 1 -GER, 1- CHN) that owned at least as different models of BMWs... (Z4, E30, E30 M3, 5- 135i, 1- 135i Sauber Edition , X5, X1, E36 M3, E46 M3 ZCP, and others I am forgetting.. etc) .... a diverse group. So.. did many us take the M folks to task about the current cars being so heavy? As a matter of fact.... several of us did.... and we even got to do it over beers after dinner or out on the town and then again in the hotel bar!

While I can't say all our requests were immediately well received, I can tell you we had some enthusiastic discussions! [peace]

Some things I can tell you that will happen... M cars will begin to get lighter beginning with the 1M (note deletion of many options yhat add weight on what should be a purist car... DCT, moonroof, etc). Part of the lightening process is smaller motors, (back to the future ala the E30 M3?) so M cars will all be turbo motors.
                      The folks at M have just recently turned over in the last 2 years, and many are young enthusiastic engineers and sales and marketing personnel. The 1M only received a green light it seems because of the extension of the 1 series model.. So the guys at M got to finally tweak the 135... into an M car... which by the way... it really is an awesome car.. I personally have not been as motivated to purchase any BMW in the last 20 years as much as this one..

As far as I am concerned, the 1M is basically an E92 M3 with a motor swap that favors torque (and will be a monster when tuned). a shortened wheelbase, and then placed on a 400 lb diet... ! It's got no sunroof which gives more headroom and it's a car that will have a limited number of buyers.. It's a car that has been designed for the track use, which is even written in the BMW press literature... and ... might make it a lot like the E30 M3... There are no more homologations, and with just 12-18 months to bring the car to market it does not have some of the cool-man tech of other previous M cars,

What you won't see happen is BMW M making complete sports cars.... The M division doesn't directly compete with Porsche (although many times M cars outperform Porsches ;-) but rather with AMG, and Audi RS. All three modify and tune existing chassis, they rarely create a one off chassis like Porsche is able to do. Perhaps more people being vocal will help, but in my opinion it would have to be something that is new and profitable... perhaps a Z2? The next 1M will be lighter than the current car that is coming out now... and will feature a twin turbo 4 cylinder.... Clearly BMW M is looking to churn out many different editions and they are now even doing it for different markets..... so let the creationsim continue... especially if the cars continue to perform well... and from my initial drive of the 1M... I have no doubt it will impress many of you!
                      I'm glad you guys had a real discussion w/ ///Marketing about their cars --- really glad. Hopefully it will be bear fruit. I love BMW's (older ones, that is), and it's disappointing to see all the chubby battleships they're putting out these days. Honda was able to put out the S2000. Lotus has put out the Elise / Exige. High-performing 4-cylinder in a lightweight chassis (forced induction, meh... but I'll take it). There's no reason why BMW can't put out a lightweight modern sports car like these that will sell a suitable quantity to justify its development, including selling in the US market. I have no interest in the current 1M, but if they do a car like one of these...!!

As for competing with Porsche and all that jazz - who cares?? When they put out their ground-breaking new lightweight truly compact sports car, there will be plenty of other manufacturers that will follow --- just like everyone followed when the original M5 super-sedan came out.

This is not a "can or can't" question for BMW - it's a "will or won't". Hopefully they will.
                      -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Hey Adjuster, one of the things I used to dislike about my old e92 was that fact that the N54 engine's response lacked the initial linear response that I get with the M3, and even my current ZHP. That to me seems to take a lot away from a true performance car. Have you ever driven another N54 based car and how does the software re-tune compare? Also this whole temporary boost thing, how exactly does it work?

thanks

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

After getting through the vid, I laughed.
                          The Muffled new car(no sound of character), followed by the sharp Nat asp sound of the E30.
                          Then I sobered because if that E30 had a Carbon Fiber intake, it would have been embarrassing to view the comparo.

The 1'er even looks like a roly-poly bat-faced girl compared to the crisp styling of the E30.

The new car will be good, and BMW cannot make light cars anymore, but it just ain't the same.

m

Comment

2 questions:

1) What was the point of the first 5 min of that? Its like now you see a car...oh now you dont.

2) Why was the M3 going so slow =)

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                              2 questions:

1) What was the point of the first 5 min of that? Its like now you see a car...oh now you dont.

2) Why was the M3 going so slow =)
                              1) It is the raw footage that cinematographers use put together commercials.
                              2) Again it is more raw footage that they can use and modify for more marketing commercials and short spots.

Guys, here couple of things that were "raw" that in their truly intended purpose just do not exist anymore:

E30 M3-best feel
                              Tube Amps-warmest sound
                              Vinyl Albums-truest audio
                              Count Chocula- well you know
                              Sat Morn Cartoons......
                              NFL refs who walk off penalty yards.....

Move on. Quit complaining about what was and what will never be, again. It is what it is and new cars are new cars for a reason.

Would you rather have your kids in the back of a '69 Bel Air or a 2010 Chevy sedan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrXV...layer_embedded

T

Comment

Working...
                              X