Issues with 740il motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with 740il motor mounts

I put these on the car just to check the other areas of clearance besides the CF airbox/master cyl issues. With these motor mounts on the car my upper oil pan rested on the steering rack! This was never mentioned in any of the tech writeups I have read on the upgrade? Has anyone else been successful with these MM's?

Tony

NO problem with mine, I did put a washer on the drivers side to gain a little more clearance with the master and airbox.

Are they in the right way?

Do not click
    At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
      NO problem with mine, I did put a washer on the drivers side to gain a little more clearance with the master and airbox.

Are they in the right way?

I had them with the extra stud ground off and installed like normal.

Even before these along time ago I had mucho clearance (like 1") between my sparco bar and the bolt on the back of the OE plenum where others had to grind the bolt down.

Anyway my cars geometry must be off somewhere.

Tony

Comment

I'm running the 740iL mounts and I'm not having any clearancing problems. I ground off the nub, and used the extra stud as the locating part. I remember Adam's brother (Mballer?) was having the same problem if I recall correctly.
        Bryan K.
        Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
          I'm running the 740iL mounts and I'm not having any clearancing problems. I ground off the nub, and used the extra stud as the locating part. I remember Adam's brother (Mballer?) was having the same problem if I recall correctly.
          I just installed a set of them this way with no issues on a customer's car.

The car I was working on has the subframe reinforced though, so it spaces the mount up about 3mm or so which just so happenes to be the height difference between the 740 mounts and the stock m3 mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
            I just installed a set of them this way with no issues on a customer's car.

The car I was working on has the subframe reinforced though, so it spaces the mount up about 3mm or so which just so happenes to be the height difference between the 740 mounts and the stock m3 mounts.
            On my car, I installed the subframe reinforcements too, but I put the little tab under the subframe (where the dog-ear support goes too), so without any additional spacing, my motor sits fine. I notice that it does sit pretty low, but I've checked and I can't find any problems where contact could be made.
            Bryan K.
            Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

I'm installing these motor mounts as part of my rebuild, and I just noticed that the engine seems to be riding on top of the steering rack as well. Of course, after I read through Gustave's site, I realized that there are different part numbers for the driver and passenger sides of the car. I'll have to go check tonight to see if I got them mixed up.

Is it possible that switching sides could result in the engine sitting too low?

Comment

Working...
              X