Alum control arms ball joints?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alum control arms ball joints?????

can a ripped rubber boot be fixed on the alum control arms?

If you can find one yes. They are not sold separately (except for aftermarket polyurethane ones). Although by the time you find out the boot is torn it's usually too late. The Joint will probably be shot.
    1988 BMW 325ix Touring (imported form Poland)
    1984 Audi Ur Quattro (imported from Canada)
    1976 Audi 80 GL (project)

Comment

Usually you can use the rubber boot from any similar-sized bearing, provided the dimensions are similar. Just be careful and patient when dismantling and check + regrease your bearing before putting the new one on.

Thomas
      sigpic

Comment

Scottie, if you find replacement boots PLEASE let me know. I'd honestly appreciate that. I need about 8 or 10.

Comment

Just check if the rubber boot of stock ones from the steel arms fit. On ebay you can get new separate steel arms ball joints for 15 Euro a pair...

Thomas
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kiko View Post
            Scottie, if you find replacement boots PLEASE let me know. I'd honestly appreciate that. I need about 8 or 10.

This site has urethane replacement boots for the ball joints:
            BMP

Comment

I was looking for the rubber ones but thanks anyway!

Comment

Any good? http://www.balljointboots.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks Dave! You're a star.

Has anyone got a suspension arm on hand that can measure the boots and let me know which version is the correct one for us?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

hey guys, didn't want to make a new thread, so an amendment to this question...

it looks like the actual joint is shot on mine, not just the boot. Do I need a whole new control arm or is the joint replaceable?

Comment

You will need to replace the control arm(s). The ball joints are not replaceable or serviceable.

Peter

Comment

See Jake's thread on replacing this. Has some interesting info on types of greese and ball joint cover sizes.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ght=ball+joint
                        This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

hey BMG, thanks for the link, but it seems to me that Jake only replaced the rubber boot, not the whole ball joint.

I haven't looked up prices yet, but on realoem, it says that a single aluminum control arm is $500+
                          Is that right??? So damn expensive...

Should I consider getting the AKG track control arms if i'm going to be paying that much anyway?

Comment

Ball joints can be replaced on steel control arms. Many vendors have the ball joint. Make sure you don't buy crap though.
                            On the aluminum control arms, the ball joint can't be replaced safely.

Steel Lemforder control arms aren't expensive. get those and be happy for years. Buy cheap eBay stuff, change the control arms in 3 months.

Lee

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                            1989 M3 racecar
                            e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by mikejungle View Post
                              hey BMG, thanks for the link, but it seems to me that Jake only replaced the rubber boot, not the whole ball joint.

I haven't looked up prices yet, but on realoem, it says that a single aluminum control arm is $500+
                              Is that right??? So damn expensive...

Should I consider getting the AKG track control arms if i'm going to be paying that much anyway?
                              Yep, just bumping Jake's thread in answer to the original question about replacing boots and the details within that thread on the grease and boot size.

Not sure what it is about the aluminium arms that means ball joint replacement is not possible, but from day one that's what I've read.
                              New aluminium arms are crazy expensive and retail at something like 380 or $600 each. Ask yourself if you will notice the extra weight of steel arms at a fraction of the price and if the money could be better spent elsewhere. As Lee said, buy a pair of Lemforder steel arms, don't pay for unbranded eBay junk.
                              This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X