No announcement yet.

Durability of aftermarket motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any other comments on the burtonpower.com mounts mentioned earlier in this post?
    thanks

Comment

the only thing is they are shorter than stock so my front sub-frame reinforcement makes up the height difference

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
        Fairly horrific.
        I have a pretty high tolerance for NVH, I used to drive a fully solid mounted GTO drag car and enjoyed it many years ago,,, but yeah, its about as bad as you would expect it to be with a buzzy 4 cylinder solidly bolted to a solid everything else car.

Shit is constantly vibrating off.
        Loctite red and blue and Nylock nuts everywhere are my best friends.
        Quite literally if I cannot get a nylock nut on something, its got loctite on it because otherwise, it will fall off.
        This is why I opted for the Gr.N engine/transmission mounts. I have a dedicated track day car, not a proper race car (not yet anyway) so solid mounts imply problems in many other areas. Since installing these I have done 7 track days and +10.000Km so I think it is safe to say they work for my purpose better than any aftermarket option.
        1986 BMW E30 M3 CF airbox & Alpha N
        2007 Audi RS4 sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          ^ Jimmy is my effing hero. Probably the #1 E30 M3/S14 fan if there ever was one.

Jake
          Haha Jake,,, I am humbled,,, thats high praise coming from a man who has (at minimum) an entire E30 M3 in parts "in" his house and invents tools to better service his S14.
          Cheers
          jimmy
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

any photo of OEM broken group n mounts?
            i want to see what the inside looks like
            so we might learn from them

also what side usually fails in normal fails on motor mounts, header side?
            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ken garchow View Post
              also what side usually fails in normal fails on motor mounts, header side?
              thanks
              For me it was usually the tension side (drivers) that failed more often.
              Just pulled them in half (tears the top off).
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I'm planning to use the ice hockey puck/pucks, sandwiched by aluminium plates, threaded so i can tighten them up. I have yet to make them, but this is the idea so far.
                Toby

E30 87 - S14 Turbo
                E34 90 - M5

New BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 215m3 View Post
                  I'm planning to use the ice hockey puck/pucks, sandwiched by aluminium plates, threaded so i can tighten them up. I have yet to make them, but this is the idea so far.
                  Don't use aluminium plates. I would recommend against this solution with your engine setup, it's not going to last very long.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

i know a few rallye drivers here in germany who are using these ones here without problems....but the cars are only for racing

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

Very interesting design that makes sense. Even if the bushing failed, the assembly would not allow the motor to move forward. Great idea.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                      1989 M3 racecar
                      e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                        Very interesting design that makes sense. Even if the bushing failed, the assembly would not allow the motor to move forward. Great idea.
                        if the little silent block rips apart, whats holding it together? all of these blocks are designed for compression, not tension

Comment

UweM3
                          doesnt the part in the center take compression and tension as it is screwed into both the upper and lower mount caps? and the center part is bonded together.

i have recently heard the group n mounts are similar with plates bonded to the material not captures inside or interlocked.

would be nice to see a broken group n to get a better idea of its construction

Comment

Someone with a genuine Grp N mount needs to "take one for the team", cut it apart, and post its inner secrets here.

Not me of course.....someone "else".........:idea:

Comment

i like the looks of the ones marcus posted here
                              anyone know a source
                              thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                                Someone with a genuine Grp N mount needs to "take one for the team", cut it apart, and post its inner secrets here.

Not me of course.....someone "else".........:idea:
                                well, not me this time. I only cut cylinder heads, blocks and 215bhp exhaust valves apart (which are NOT sodium filled BTW).
                                I am sure there is the odd old worn out Grp N mount lying on the shelf somewhere. Not much worth really.

Comment

Working...
                                X