Oil Leak/JB weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak/JB weld

OK gang, I posted this question on the SIG and only one guy wanted to weigh in on it, so I'll toss it out here.

I have a slight oil leak from the top passenger side of the timing chain cover. It may be coming from the head gasket/timing chain cover/block joint, but I think it is from slightly below that point. It is not anything easy like the timing chain tensioner or that little allen headed plug, my head is bone dry. Definitely a lot of work would be involved to fix it "right" as the timing chain cover would have to come off.

My question is, do you think if I totally cleaned and degreased the area with brake cleaner, a bead of JB Weld or other epoxy would stop the leak? I am talking about a bead brushed onto the seam between the block and the timing cover.

At first I thought this was wacko, but the more I thought about it I wondered if it would work. I am constantly amazed at what epoxy can do, and this is a non-pressurized area. Also, the leak is slow enough that if I degrease the area it is a couple of days before any oil is visible there again. So the epoxy should have time to cure before oil seeps under it, particularly if I get the 5 minute variety.

The only downside I can think of, even if it fails, is I would eventually have to wire brush all the epoxy off. No big deal.

The idea got into my head because I read that when rebuilding Porsche 911 engines, they use epoxy to seal shafts that protrude through the case so no oil leakage occurs.

So what do you all think? Has my lazyness gotten out of control or might this work?
    Last edited by Ironhead; 03-17-2004, 04:33 PM.

I'm not saying yay or nay, but I when I was at road america years ago a porsche guy had a cracked head, and thought he was done for the weekend. Another Porsche racer came over and helped him work on the car for a while. They used JB weld, did a makeshift repair, and raced the next day. Of course, after the race was over I assume he replaced the head, but it worked temporarily.

I'm not sure if they ever did replace the head or just stick with the JB welded one, but shit, it worked for at least a little while

Comment

My cylinder head weeps just above the alternator at the front of the block. It's just enough to leave a damp stain on the timing cover below the distributor, so I've left it.

I don't see why some epoxy won't work. It's worth a go, and if it looks a mess, just wire brush/scrape it off again.
      Steve
      Scottish Cecotto

Comment

If you clean the surfaces very well, and don't get oil on the JB weld until it is fully cured, it may hold indefinitely.
        I had a microcrack in the aluminum sump of one of my vehicles which the JB weld failed to seal after a few engine heat cycles .
        prepping the surface is the key.
        m.

Comment

Why not use some oil resistant silicone sealant? In the future when you need to remove the timing cover it will be easier to deal with silicone than hardened JB Weld.

Comment

Why not use some oil resistant silicone sealant? In the future when you need to remove the timing cover it will be easier to deal with silicone than hardened JB Weld.
            I thought about that. Might work, not sure.

My thinking is that most silicon is designed to work when applied during assembly. I wonder if it would have adequate "stick" to work after the fact like my situation.

Comment

I second the silicone, JB weld is not made to stop leaks, it holds parts.

Silicone is easier to use and can be taken off later. Get hi temp stuff.

Do not click
              At least it's German

Comment

Working...
              X