Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubber intake gasket help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rubber intake gasket help!

    Rough idle led me to change the tb gaskets. I purchased the Turner kit, sealed the throttle body side, put on the old rubber gaskets and noticed the two sides didn't quite match...









    Also found that the part numbers for each side also didn't match up:



    Right-
    gasket: 1 318 319
    tb: 1 310 024

    Left-
    gasket: 1 318 318
    tb: 1 310 023

    I've done quite a bit of searching and understand that some part numbers have changed, however, this just doesn't seem to make any sense. Do you think the previous owner could have changed something? The car was running fine with this setup before, and I can't recall if they were positioned like this when I took everything out, but the looks of it just irk me.

    Help??

  • #2
    well, looks like you have a 46mm throttle gasket and a 48mm throttle gasket.

    read here http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per...kets/index.htm


    Goodbye M3, you served me well.

    Comment


    • #3
      do you think it would be alright to continue running the car like that?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Catchakab View Post
        do you think it would be alright to continue running the car like that?
        you could fit 2 "large" gaskets and port match the throttle bodies at least.
        but I would not run a small and a large


        Goodbye M3, you served me well.

        Comment


        • #5
          All the new gaskets are 319's. If you find original 318's then it's new old stock. My guess is it's not that big of a deal unless you NEED the extra airflow provided by the 319. On a stock car, I would leave it, maybe hone it out and reseal the intake. Those gaskets are expensive.

          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


          Comment


          • #6
            Cut down the 318 gasket so it fits more like the 319? I need to get the car back together fairly quickly so that's an appealing option.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
              you could fit 2 "large" gaskets and port match the throttle bodies at least.
              but I would not run a small and a large
              +1. In fact, I thought you can't get the large ones any more. I agree, use one or the other but don't mix them.



              - Tire is the other control arm bushing.

              zhpregistry.net

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by noro View Post
                +1. In fact, I thought you can't get the large ones any more. I agree, use one or the other but don't mix them.
                You can't get the small ones anymore.

                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Catchakab View Post
                  Cut down the 318 gasket so it fits more like the 319? I need to get the car back together fairly quickly so that's an appealing option.
                  This is what I would do if the gasket is still good. Just open it up a bit. Like I said, a new one is expensive.

                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                  85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                  91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
                    You can't get the small ones anymore.
                    This is correct. Even back when I did my motor you couldn't get the smaller ones anymore. I did, however, opt to alteast match the gaskets so I bought two new ones.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have had talked with some well respected S14 motor builders regarding these matters and I am informed that the larger gaskets, while not a true fit to the ports, show no adverse results resulting in lower dyno readings. While an odd small and large mix is not ideal you would be fine with this arrangement. (The new gaskets available now are all the 48mm larger ones.)
                      I do notice some dry cracking on your gaskets so the question is, why not replace them since your this far in? These gaskets are designed to serve a couple of functions. One is to seal the intake run and the other is to aid in vibration damping due to the high vibrations these motors produce. I suspect the vibration damping ability of the old rubber is past its service life cycle. I am a firm beliver in doing it tight the first time.
                      Is it common to only install the Turner paper gaskets with the old rubber?
                      Last edited by rdkc01; 02-17-2011, 12:55 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        replace the rubber gaskets too. the turner kit helps the new ones stay sealed, but you are going to have to do the job soon again if you don't replace the rubber gaskets now...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rdkc01 View Post
                          I have had talked with some well respected S14 motor builders regarding these matters and I am informed that the larger gaskets, while not a true fit to the ports, show no adverse results resulting in lower dyno readings. While an odd small and large mix is not ideal you would be fine with this arrangement. (The new gaskets available now are all the 48mm larger ones.)
                          I do notice some dry cracking on your gaskets so the question is, why not replace them since your this far in? These gaskets are designed to serve a couple of functions. One is to seal the intake run and the other is to aid in vibration damping due to the high vibrations these motors produce. I suspect the vibration damping ability of the old rubber is past its service life cycle. I am a firm beliver in doing it tight the first time.
                          Is it common to only install the Turner paper gaskets with the old rubber?
                          I have the same problem with the new 319 rubber gaskets. Although there is not a problem with the larger gaskets: Do you think it's a good idea to port the final part of the intake to match the 319's gaskets?

                          Thanks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I tried this paper gasket to the TB side.
                            What do you think about?
                            Thanks.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X