weird spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird spacers

Hi, I am a long time lurker, always wanted an E30 M3, finally got one, immediately had a broken gearbox, so I replaced it with a used one, while I was doing so, I found a diagram where a spacer is used on, or between the clutch housing and the flywheel. This spacer (available 6X) was not on the car when I took off the old clutch. Now, my question is, does anyone know anything about it or what function it has?

thanks
    rick

I just had a conversation about this with Roundel tech editor Mike Miller who sometimes throws E30M3 questions my way.
    I believe that the ETK / drawing is simply inaccurate.

I have never seen that spacer or anything like it on any S14 clutches I have worked on.
    All S14 pressure plates I personally have ever worked on, were bolted directly to the flywheel, so think that part in the S14 drawing is a mistake.

HTH
    jimmy p
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Just because realoem shows parts doesn't mean it is on your car. Have never seen this on an E30 M3.

Comment

Out of interest I had a look in the US M3 repair manual don't know if the spacers mentioned are the same as the ones in the etk but it does mention 6 spacers. There are pics in the manual too I'll upload one individually in a minute.

Hope this helps.

Clutch disc, remove and install
        Remove transmission
        Lock flywheel in place with BMW special tool 11 2 100 or by inserting a pry bar against the ring gear teeth.
        Remove the six 6mm Allen head bolts retaining pressure plate. Each bolt has a spacer on it. Don't loose these spacers.[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Liam/Desktop/IF%20YOU%20CANT%20FIND%20IT%20ITS%20PROBABLY%20HER E/BMW%20E30%20M3%20Repair%20Manual/21_clutch/images/210002.jpg[/IMG]
        CAUTION: Pressure plate is located on dowels, but it may still fall off when last bolt is removed.
        Remove pressure plate and clutch disc. The pressure plate is the only thing holding the clutch disc, do not drop it when removing the pressure plate.
        Check clutch plate for wear, minimum thickness is 7.5mm (0.020"), and cracks.
        Check flywheel for scoring or burn marks, replace or resurface if necessary.
        Check condition of pilot bearing in end of crankshaft. Replace bearing if necessary.[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Liam/Desktop/IF%20YOU%20CANT%20FIND%20IT%20ITS%20PROBABLY%20HER E/BMW%20E30%20M3%20Repair%20Manual/21_clutch/images/11gen002.jpg[/IMG]

Installation

Place BMW special tool 21 2 100 through the clutch disc and place it into the pilot bearing. If this tool is not available, you can use an old transmission input shaft or even a section of broom handle. Many aftermarket clutch kits will come with an equivalent tool. The purpose of the tool is to align the clutch disc with the pilot bearing so that the input shaft of the transmission will go through the disc, into the pilot bearing.
        Ensure all 6 bolts have spacers on them.[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Liam/Desktop/IF%20YOU%20CANT%20FIND%20IT%20ITS%20PROBABLY%20HER E/BMW%20E30%20M3%20Repair%20Manual/21_clutch/images/210005.jpg[/IMG]
        Drive plate is unidirectional. One surface should be marked "to engine" or similar. Note the orientation of the disc that is removed. One side of the disc will have a protrusion in the center that the other side will not. This side usually, but not always, faces the transmission.
        Install pressure plate loosely, rotate clutch alignment tool in order to center clutch disc. Tighten pressure plate bolts in a cross pattern, a little at a time.
        Remove centering tool.
        When replacing clutch plate, always install a new pressure plate and throw-out bearing.

Torques :

Pressure plate to flywheel, 8.8 grade:22 - 24 Nm (16 - 17 ft lbs.)
        Pressure plate to flywheel, 10.9 grade:30 - 35 Nm (22 - 25 ft lbs.)
        Last edited by bbsrs; 02-18-2011, 06:20 AM. Reason: add text

Comment

pictures of bolts and spacers from M3 manual.
          Last edited by bbsrs; 02-18-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

That's what mine had.

Steve
            Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

spacers

Originally posted by stevesingo View Post
              That's what mine had.

Steve
              and where were they? mounted on top the pressure plate? I know it is crazy to ask, as there should never be a space between the pressure plate and flywheel

cheers
              rick

Comment

On top of the pressure plate.
                Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I had one with the spacers as well. Theres no real need for them though. I think the original intent was to make use of longer bolts allowing them to have additional stretchability (allows more flex before snapping).

Jake

Comment

Interesting.
                    I've never even seen a picture of them.
                    I have never taken one apart that had these.

My street car, original clutch, 10/87 build did not have them, I just replaced the original clutch (while I was in there) no spacers...

Wild. Great bit of S14 trivia there,,, when did they use the spacers,,, when not???
                    jimmy p.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                      Interesting.
                      I've never even seen a picture of them.
                      I have never taken one apart that had these.

My street car, original clutch, 10/87 build did not have them, I just replaced the original clutch (while I was in there) no spacers...

Wild. Great bit of S14 trivia there,,, when did they use the spacers,,, when not???
                      Hi, here is the reason for using those spacers according to BMW Classic in Munich, the bolts used are stretchable, and to allow strechablity along the length of the bold and not only to a short part of it, those spacers were used.

Thank you all for your help

Cheers
                      rick

Comment

I would have guessed the spacers are used to bolt up the clutch housing to a EVO flywheel, if you were using the longer bolts for the std. flywheel.

Since the EVO flywheel requires shorter bolts.
                        Pat

Comment

Interesting thread....I've done my share of clutches, but I've never seen anything like that (foreign or American). Makes me wonder what's on mine now! :HeadsSpinning:

Comment

i am in the process of doing my second clutch to my second car and have never seen these "sleeves". both cars were and are early models. i just bought the evo flywheel and new bolts. i didnt get the sleeves and the new bolts are twice as long. now i see why i need the sleeves

Comment

Originally posted by scrv1 View Post
                              i am in the process of doing my second clutch to my second car and have never seen these "sleeves". both cars were and are early models. i just bought the evo flywheel and new bolts. i didnt get the sleeves and the new bolts are twice as long. now i see why i need the sleeves
                              Well supposedly there are shorter bolts for the EVO Flywheel and they don't use sleeves.

This is the first time I've seen these sleeves. I don't know if they've stopped producing the shorter evo flywheel bolts and we are supposed to use the sleeves now with stock U.S. bolts w/EVO flywheel?

Still have my EVO Flywheel in the garage somewhere.
                              Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X