best way to ship oem seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to ship oem seats?

a friend of mine has two seats for me on the west coast. We can't seem to find any boxes to fit them in. any suggestions on the best way to pack/ship them to the east coast?
    Thanks

I sold a couple of stock seats and had to ship them out of state.

I went to a packaging/shipping outlet and they custom made a box for each out of double wall corrugated cardboard. Then the seats were packed in with dense "ghost-poopies". The arrived in perfect condition.

Keep in mind though, the boxes were large and the entire packaging and shipping process was expensive.....roughly $150 IIRC.

Comment

Where in California are you located? Where did you get the boxes made? what shipping method did you use after they boxed them?

Comment

Truth,

I bought a pair of 320i Recaros several years ago, and the guy who sold them to me simply doubled them over "separately", and shipped them in two boxes that he made himself...(remove the headrests). It's really not all that hard as long as you have some well made cardboard boxes. $150 is expensive IMO (but my seats were coming to PA from New England, so that's gotta cost less)....the seller should be able to easy do it under $100 total still I'd think.

But, then again, maybe I'm all wet! :-) It really depends on how much your friend is willing to help you out.

John
        Last edited by 02fanatic; 04-02-2011, 04:23 AM.

Comment

use wardrobe boxes from the moving company. ship them greyhound. if the seats are no longer assembled you can pack them even tighter.

easy and cheap.
          1989 e30 m3 Zinnoberrot/Grey 256k Track/M3T
          1991 e30 m3 Alpinweiß/Schwartz 81k Garage Queen
          1991 325iX Diamantschwarz/M-Tech 110k Snowmobile (For Sale)
          1991 325ic Macau Blau/M-Tech 178k M-Tech Cabrio 5spd (For Sale)
          2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Vortec, Alison Tranny, 4.10 gears

Comment

Originally posted by junkyard_sal View Post
            use wardrobe boxes from the moving company. ship them greyhound. if the seats are no longer assembled you can pack them even tighter.

easy and cheap.
            +1. From Uhaul to be exact. The shorty wardrobe box for $7.95, 34x 24 x 20
            Take the hearests out so they fit. Also reinforce the bottom with an xtra layer of cardboard. Shipped seats this way plenty of times w/o any issues.
            Dan

12/87 Zinnoberrot
            3/87 Henna

Comment

i second sals suggestion it worked for me for my 2 porsche seats from cali to NYC
              awesome and cheap

Comment

Working...
              X