Supplementry Fuel Tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplementry Fuel Tank.

I was having a look in the trunk area of the car today and after I pulled off the carpet area behind the back seats I discovered a second fuel tank in my car. I quickly checked the etk CD and it is part # 16111178902. How do you fill this tank. I filled the car to day from empty and it took 51 litres and the main tank hold 56litres. The supplementry fuel tank is empty still so is there a trick to filling this tank and what were they used for.

Cheers
    Dave

From what I've gathered it should be an add-on to the existing main fuel tank and there is no separate fill hole. Check the plumbing to make sure it's installed completely.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

It can take bloody ages to fill (using the normal filler hole). The filler neck pipe splits in two, and sends a feed to both tanks. As the tank is so high up, (and the vents must be small) a fuel nozzle will quite often shut off well before the tank is full.
      On my Euro car, I usually get about 65 litres in once the fuel light has come on. The fuel computer then shows anything from 68 to 72 litres. You have to pump the fuel in slowly and keep waiting for it to settle.
      Steve
      Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

It needs a lot of time to fill the spare tank.
          I had best results by turning the fuel pistol "upside down"
          when filling.
          Fill the spare when the main tank is empty.
          My fuel gauge is in the right withe range if the spare tank is filled.

Daniel
          www.m3e30.ch

Comment

Following the instructions in the manual I waited until the fuel gauge was in the red section before refilling and I never got the secondary tank to fill. After the fuel filler clicked off the fuel gauage was just at the lower end of the white section. This happened a number of times and the computer (1000 & 1) showed 55 litres.

On the way to Cadwell Park I decided to refill with half a tank remaining, I had a 5 litre can to fill as well. This time the gauge went fully to the right and the computer said 68 litres. The same thing happened just before Croft the other week. I refilled on the way home and again I got a full tank full.

This is completely opposite to the handbook instructions, has anybody else had this happen?

Cheers
            Kevin
            Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

Working...
            X