Heater core replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater core replacement

Can anyone tell me how much/difficult it is to replace a heater core? One of the things the PPI found was a leaking heater core and I want to get it fixed. What is this repair going to cost me in parts and labor? I'm not against doing it myself either, so what would it entail? Thanks guys.

- Matt

Well it cost me $700 to have done. :(

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Thanks! Do you know what the parts/labor breakdown was? This is a point of negotiation on the price of the car, so I'm glad I know sooner, rather than later.

Comment

It's really no that hard - just a little messy. Parts shouldn't be that expensive. You need the heater core and various o-rings. I recommend changing the heater valve while you're in there. I would guess parts shouldn't be more than $200.

To change

1. Remove under-dash panel on drivers side.
        2. Remove console (both pieces)
        3. Unattach heater hoses at firewall (engine side) Best to use shop vac to suck out coolant or you'll make a mess.
        4. Heater core is like a cassette that you remove from driver's side underdash.

Pretty straightforward once you're in there.

HTH,
        Joe
        2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
        1995 Porsche 993
        2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
        2004 Ford F-150 FX4
        2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
        1985 BMW M635CSI
        2001 BMW M3
        1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

Thanks Joe. A few questions, what do you mean by "2. Remove console (both pieces)"? I haven't really dug around the M3 yet (since I don't own it), so maybe it's obvious once I get in there. Also, would this be a good time to replace the fan switch resistor and the LEDs for the trip computer? Neither work. Thanks again!

- Matt

Comment

Hi Matt,

I meant the rectangular console piece surrounding the e-brake handle (which needs to come out first) and then the console surrounding the shift lever.

You're right. This is a good time to replace the other two items you mentioned, though you'll need to go a little deeper and loosen the climate control plate. It's a pretty straightforward job - E30s have to be some of the most intelligently and easy cars to work on. My 993 is WAY harder on average.

HTH,
            Joe
            2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
            1995 Porsche 993
            2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
            2004 Ford F-150 FX4
            2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
            1985 BMW M635CSI
            2001 BMW M3
            1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

I couldn't figure out how to get the thing out when I had to have mine replaced 4 years ago. I got everything stipped away, exept for removing the dash, what else do you need to replace?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
              they are not idiots.

Comment

Working...
              X