Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injectors - updated 4-hole design - can we use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand if they were orange, but whats the part number of the orange ones? fiveo shows part number 0280150785 for the orange version
    bosch 29.5lbs/hr 310cc/min 57psi 3.93bar

my other notes
    Description Part Number Quantity
    BMW Part # for EVO3 Injector 13 64 1 316 511 4
    Bosch Injector for 2.5l M3 0 280 150 355 4
    Bosch Injector for Volvo Turbo 0 280 150 357 4

the Volvo 357s are green
    28.6lbs/hr 300.6cc/min 43.5psi 3bar

I can see running the volvo greens at 3.5, 4.0, even 5.0 bar can yield good results.
    Photos

Comment

1997 Volvo 850 Turbo - Bosch p/n: 0.280.150.785 (orange tops) high impedence 305cc/min. @ 3BAR fuel pressure 354cc/min. @ 4bar fuel pressure

I've been running these all last year, and this year with great results. Just picked up 5 of them for $30 and am sending them off to RC Fuel Injection for cleaning / rebuild / flow testing for another $100.
      sigpic
      Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

Just some more info for anyone like me who was curious on "upgrading" to the 4 hole design for a stock/mildly modified s14 (and not using any kind of aftermarket electronics/fuel management):

According to Bruce @ Five-O there is no injector available that is both a 4-hole design AND low impedance (low-z) that also has a low enough flow rate for our engine. Most that are 4-hole and low-z are 400cc+ (majority are even higher than that) which is WAYYYYY to much for a mostly stock motor using the stock computer.

So the stock injectors will have to do. Bruce does have a great deal on brand new Bosch replacements (one of the best deals I could find anyway) @ just under $200 for a set of 4 new injectors.

Thanks to everyone though who brought opinions and suggestions to this thread.

@FortySouthM3 - I am happy to hear of your good luck with the W.A.R. chip and Gen3 MAF from Miller. I have been watching the developement of both with much anticipation and I am happy to hear of your good results.
        Last edited by blaquea8; 04-25-2011, 05:17 AM.
        “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
        Jeremy Clarkson - BBC Top Gear
        sigpic

Comment

If more fuel is what you want... You are getting it already running at 3.5 BAR (@51psi) I wouldn't run more than 4 BAR without upgrading your external fuel pump.

Stick with stock Low-Z injectors if you are running the stock DME/ECU and AFM... Have RC rebuild them, they usually come back flowing 2-5cc more than they are rated for.

It's my experience that adding .5 - 1 BAR of fuel pressure works better than switching to say a 300cc+ injector unless you have increased displacement and cams... And even then, unless you plan on tracking the car or redlining it often, 260cc's @4 BAR is perfect. Adjustable FPR and higher flow Fuel Pump are a better investment.
          Last edited by ///schwartzman; 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM.
          Rich!

Comment

hello !

i just bought the volvo green ones (0280 150 804) from www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com for 44.99 each(NEW ones).

i have a 2.5l rebuilt engine (from 2.3l). with the new injectors i'll add the 48mm TBs ,matching trumpets and evo intake. i'll tell you all how this turns out later on after the fine tunning ...

ps = i already have an
            Adjustable FPR and higher flow Fuel Pump...
            Last edited by GrandRoyaL; 07-15-2011, 08:43 AM.
            Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.
            e30 M3 1988 US-spec Salmon Silver - s14 now 2.5 L
            e34 M5 1995 Cosmosblack - S38b38

Comment

Does the war chip allow you to run high impedance injectors then? I have a 2.3 with 284/276 cam 11:1 compression 30 lb high impedance injectors and miller alpha n conversion. I have the motor built but have not yet tuned it . I still have oe TBs and header with a borla exhaust. Am I going to be able to use the injectors?
              sigpic
              found on google maps LOL

89 m3 top end rebuilt
              81 320i safari beige

Comment

I don't believe the chip has much to do with injector impedance, just mainly injector and ignition timing. Injector impedance I believe is more
                governed by the injector drivers in the ECU. They are the means of providing current and switching to the injector's themselves and have limited
                current capability. That said, I 'believe' the stock injector drivers can drive high impedance injector's although I am not 100% sure. With the scarcity
                of our Motronic 071's, I think we need to make sure first because overloading those drivers could def make them burn up!
                Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
                • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
                • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
                • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
                • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
                • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
                • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
                • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
                • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
                • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Any thoughts on running the Bosch 0 280 155 715 injectors? They are a modern design, EV6. Injector Type: EV6
                  Electrical Connector: Jetronic
                  Fuel rail connector: Grommet
                  Manifold connector: Grommet
                  Flow rate: 172.2 - 187.1 g/min @ 3bar.
                  Conic Spray Angle: Equal to or less than 19 degrees, but not less than 12 degrees (any greater a spray angle will increase the potential for puddling of the fuel in the inlet port).
                  Alpha 50 Spray Angle (flow separated into 2 streams): NULL (although with a little more research and a stripped cylinder head, this could be made to work work well with the S14)
                  Axial deviation of spray pattern: NULL
                  Spray orientation angle: NULL

Group 1 General Specifications:
                  186.6g/min @ 3bar.
                  Operating Pressure 2.7bar.
                  Conic Spray Angle: 12 deg.
                  Impedance: 14.5 ohm.

A guy in the UK researched this and is running them in his 320iS

Will
                  '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                  '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    Any thoughts on running the Bosch 0 280 155 715 injectors? They are a modern design, EV6. Injector Type: EV6
                    Electrical Connector: Jetronic
                    Fuel rail connector: Grommet
                    Manifold connector: Grommet
                    Flow rate: 172.2 - 187.1 g/min @ 3bar.
                    Conic Spray Angle: Equal to or less than 19 degrees, but not less than 12 degrees (any greater a spray angle will increase the potential for puddling of the fuel in the inlet port).
                    Alpha 50 Spray Angle (flow separated into 2 streams): NULL (although with a little more research and a stripped cylinder head, this could be made to work work well with the S14)
                    Axial deviation of spray pattern: NULL
                    Spray orientation angle: NULL

Group 1 General Specifications:
                    186.6g/min @ 3bar.
                    Operating Pressure 2.7bar.
                    Conic Spray Angle: 12 deg.
                    Impedance: 14.5 ohm.

A guy in the UK researched this and is running them in his 320iS

Will
                    Are you doing a stand alone EMS? The electrical connectors on the S14 will not work on these injectors so you would have to make your own harness. Not hard to do just an FYI

T

https://www.injectorrx.com/bosch-fuel-injectors/

Comment

not with an EV6 connector

T

Comment

I went round and round with injectors before my build to keep using full loop Maxx AlphaN. Stock ecu and anything piggy back uses lowZ or low impedance only. The fancy high impedance injectors aren't avail without a driver box. Not impossible but just another item to wire in. Aftermarket ecu's use all highZ allowing a large selection of newer injectors. I ended with RC engineering as my best option. They can make whatever you need and still use lowZ with EV1 connector as direct replacements. I went with 370cc on the 2.7L. Worked so well I forget how much time I had notes on injectors. The volvo's were my other options with proven results the 357 greens. Would of worked but RC offered a custom new set for the price of some used volvo 357s. The cone pattern of the disc lucas style RC injectors still work well today even if most call it old tech.
                      Photos

Comment

I read a lot about injectors before some recent mods to my car. I came to the conclusion that the differences/advantages between the various types were probably more theoretical than real for nearly all of us....and besides the "experts" did not come close to agreeing on the subject of what was best....even in theory.

I have been using the Accel EV-1 high impedance 44 lb/hr injectors for almost a decade now, and could not come up with any reason to try something different.

Comment

when I installed COP's and had the autronic with sequential injection timing, I could get some pretty insane MPG's and do some other interesting things. It was fun. I can wait to install a new EMS and program it again.

T

Comment

The short answer is a big YES. There are plenty of EV6 injector types with Jetronic connectors that will plug straight in and fit, but you have to be careful to get the flows and spray configuration right. 0 280 155 715 should work well with X5DTC spark plugs if driven fairly quickly. I ran them for over a year in my otherwise stock 320is, with good results, and excellent fuel economy. However, I know someone in the States who had trouble with them running rich during freeway cruising.

For comprehensive and more importantly, accurate injector data, see HERE

There are options other than 0 280 155 715, including 0 280 156 048 (which has a wider spray cone than the 155 715s), and 0 280 155 865 which is a split flow injector; but these three injectors all have one thing in common: They all have a flow rate (@ 3 bar) of 186.6g/min, whereas the stock injector (0 280 150 201) has a flow rate of 182.9g/min.

0 280 155 715 & 156 211 have a Jetronic connector, but 155 865 & 156 048 have a USCAR connector and require an adaptor which is freely available (ebay)

To combat the problem of fouled plugs, I changed from X5DTC to Y6DC plugs more commonly found in the E34 M5 and for normal road use these are a big improvement, but because of their shorter projection, were not a good combination with the 155 715 injectors, as they have quite a narrow spray cone angle (12 degrees). Therefore, I'm now running a set of 0 280 156 211 split flow injectors, which are rated to flow 187g/min @ 3 bar - but I may try the 155 865 in a few months' time.

Life would have been much easier were there such thing as an X6DTC or Y6DTC spark plug, as either would be ideal for normal street use.
                            USRT : - Engine, ECU Tuning, Fuel & Spark, Transmission, Chemicals/Other, Water/Meth Injection, Suspension, Exhaust, Forced Induction, Brakes,

Comment

Working...
                            X