No announcement yet.

Got the car back today.... didn't last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the car back today.... didn't last!

So my motor was recently rebuilt. 11.5:1 CP pistons, Cams, some head work+++...

My mechanic broke it for a few hundred miles, set the Alpha N to run a little rich on break in and gave me the car.

Set I was told to not beat it up but don't be afraid to drive it since he put quite a few miles on it to make sure its all good.

Came around a corner, jumped on it. Shifted in second... heard a back fire/pop. And then putt puttd home since it started misfiring.

Note: I was running really low on gas <20 miles on the range gauge.

Here is what I know:

Cylinders 2 & 4 are not firing.
    Oil Pressure is ok.
    Car does not smoke.
    Car does not overheat
    No coolant in oil or vice versa
    Car idles ok, just mis fires.
    Cleaned the plugs around, then swapped 1 & 2 around but still same outcome.
    Checked the wires, they all have spark.

Thought I got some gunk in the injectors from running it low so I tapped each injector and I hear a decent pulse out of each one. Or the same tick from each one.

Is it possible I dropped 2 cyilnders at the same time?

I know the compression test is next on my list, but sorry I was looking for something positive since I am crazy distraught after such an expensive build and so much time waiting and now this.

I just can't believe it. Any help or suggestions or ideas on what you guys think happened would be cool. Thanks

That sucks my friend. I always say that to look for the simple stuff first before getting stressed on a possible disaster.

Compression test will tell all, maybe the head gasket has gone.
    Have you spoken to the mechanic?

What did you do about ignition mapping?

What cams?

What is the measured compression ratio(11.5:1 pistons, doesn't mean 11.5:1 compression)?

Best of luck

Steve
    Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

1, Test the primary and secondary resistance of the coil. If they are anywhere off spec, replace the coil.
      2, Pull the distributor cap off and check the inside of the cap for cracks, carbon tracks.
      3, Check the rotor for cracks and make sure that it is indexed correctly.
      4, remove the cam case cover and check that the lifter bucket shims are still retained.

What kind of fuel are you using?

m

Comment

4 bent exhaust valves! Awesome

Comment

Take it back to the mechanic and tell him to sort it mate?
          Surely he has given you some sort of warranty for the work he did on the car?
          OUR PURPOSE IS TO ADAPT OVERCOME AND PROGRESS

Comment

Originally posted by Bisan View Post
            4 bent exhaust valves! Awesome
            What happened to bend four valves? Cams not timed correctly?

Comment

I really hate to hear about stuff like this happening after fresh rebuilds, especially since I am just finishing up my own! I'd better check my cam timing again. Please keep us updated with what you find out.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Well he says the Alpha N stated that highest rev point was 8860 rpms. And since I damage happened in firing order.

He think I went from second to first ... instead of third and over revved the slore.

So its coming out of my pocket. I"m sure he'll take care of me on some of the labor but still I know I didn't mis shift.

Car has been held up at his shop for months and first day back and I bend 4 valves. What a shitty turn of events. I didn't even get a chance to test my CCWs.

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you are sure you didn't mis-shift, why not demand to look at the data screen that he claims reports the engine was revved up to 8860 rpm? How exactly is he coming up with 8860 rpm?
                  sigpic

Comment

Stated the Alpha N showed the data.

Regardless I just want my car back. I had it for a few hours it was the mother of all teases.

With a 7k rpm redline. How else would it have gone to 8800 rpms. And the damage screams over rev. I just don't see how I did it.

Comment

Well hopefullly it's just 4 valves and no other serious carnage happened. That can be a pretty quick turn around. Let us know what happened after the head gets pulled!

Shit happens! Good luck!

1988 E30 M3 S38
                      1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

Originally posted by jibbajabba View Post
                        Well hopefullly it's just 4 valves and no other serious carnage happened. That can be a pretty quick turn around. Let us know what happened after the head gets pulled!

Shit happens! Good luck!

Exactly how I feel, well it was originally two valves, after the head got pulled decided to do all 4. Man with the high compression motor and big cams the car was transformed into monster.

Hopefully I get it back early next week.

Comment

Well, that bites! At least he's got the repairs under way so you won't have to wait long.

Comment

hmmmmm perhaps you've been away from the car too long and was a little overzealous while driving? Gotta dogleg trans?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Sounds more like the Alphna N not able to engage the rev limiter, rather than a misshift. I not a misshift expert but I can't imagine how you can overrev 1880rpm in city speed.
                              I have overrevved a bone stock 2,3 (soon about 200k km and no rebuild) two times, it went 1000rpm past the limiter but engine was ok. It happened after a 3rd gear curve, so it was about 130km/h, and the misshift was only for a moment.
                              A little math should give the answer if you know the car speed when it happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X