tire size for 16"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size for 16"?

I want to put 16x7.5 wheels on my car but I am having some difficulty figuring out what tire size I need. Tire Rack's site says the size for the optional 16" wheel is 225/45zr16. I called them and the person I spoke with said no, I should use a 215/45zr16.
    The particular tire I am interested in is a 225/50zr16.

My question is: those who have had experience with 16" wheels, will a 225 tire rub? tires are not my strong suit, and I'm not sure if the middle number affects how well it will fit the rim. Also, would the tire size I want cause problems?(225/50zr16, closest size for the brand I want) Any exp/comments/help with this size wheel and tires would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ben
    90 brillianrot red M3
    -chipped

91 325I sport
    -chipped
    -triflow exhaust

The proper size for a 16" wheel is 225/45/16
    "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

would that rub at all? Would a spacer be required? My tire/wheel knowledge is somewhat limited
      90 brillianrot red M3
      -chipped

91 325I sport
      -chipped
      -triflow exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by originalM
        would that rub at all? Would a spacer be required? My tire/wheel knowledge is somewhat limited

It shouldn't as long as the offset it right. Which should be ET 27
        "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

I have 16 x 7.5 rims and are running 225/45 x 16. No rubbing.

Cheers
          Dave

Comment

225/45/16 was the stock size tire of the Sport Evo, Evo 2 and Cecotto.
            -Han

Comment

225 45 16:
              9.2" wide,
              4.13" sidewall ht,
              24.2" total dia.
              76.0" rolling circumfrence.
              833.7 revs/mile.

225 50 16:
              8.7" wide
              4.35" sidewall height.
              24.7" total diameter.
              77.5" rolling circ.
              817.5 res/mile.

205 55 15 stock:
              8.3"
              4.5"
              24.3"
              76.3"
              830.4 revs/mile

So you can see that the guys are correct as the EVO sizes throw your speedo accuracy off the least..

btw, I bought a set of 16x8 revolution RFX that had 225 50 16 tires mounted and there is no rubbing.
              m.
              Last edited by Mmark; 04-03-2004, 05:19 AM.

Comment

thanks for the info. this has been very helpful, I'm glad I decided to post. Now I just need to find some wheels I actually like, which is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

Ben
                90 brillianrot red M3
                -chipped

91 325I sport
                -chipped
                -triflow exhaust

Comment

How about 245-45-16 rear on 16x8.5 with et25? Will this fit?

Robert

Comment

I was using 245/45 a few months back and I was getting a very little rub.

Comment

225*45 still fits on an 8.5 inch wheel, I would use that size. The rolling circumference of a 245*45 is quite a bit different and will affect performance.

I used to run 225*45 on a 9inch wide wheel - looked a little stretched but not too bad at all.

1988 Evo II

2006 Z4 3.0Si Sport Coupe

Comment

I'm picking up a set of 16x8.5 soon. It's an odd size that isn't discussed all that much in the forums.

The debate is whether to run 225/45/16 or 245/45/16.

225 doesn't rub from what I've read, 245 has a chance of rubbing. I wish I could mount each size and have a go myself... but I can't.

(Maybe I could run 225 in front and 245 in the rear but I've read that understeer becomes very pronounced w/ staggered sizes)

I'm not looking for the super euro stretch look. I don't want to fight a rubbing battle either. Does anyone run a similar setup w/ comments on street use? Maybe even pics

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark
                          225 45 16:
                          9.2" wide,
                          4.13" sidewall ht,
                          24.2" total dia.
                          76.0" rolling circumfrence.
                          833.7 revs/mile.

225 50 16:
                          8.7" wide
                          4.35" sidewall height.
                          24.7" total diameter.
                          77.5" rolling circ.
                          817.5 res/mile.

205 55 15 stock:
                          8.3"
                          4.5"
                          24.3"
                          76.3"
                          830.4 revs/mile

So you can see that the guys are correct as the EVO sizes throw your speedo accuracy off the least..

btw, I bought a set of 16x8 revolution RFX that had 225 50 16 tires mounted and there is no rubbing.
                          m.
                          How come your two 225 tyres are a different width? I thought 225 was the width?

I have 225/45/16 on 8" fronts and 9" rears. Had no rubbing with Goodyears and Falkens but I have some cheapo tyres on at the moment which do rub on the inner arch at full lock.
                          If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Comment

Re: tire size for 16"?

Originally posted by originalM
                            I want to put 16x7.5 wheels on my car but I am having some difficulty figuring out what tire size I need. Tire Rack's site says the size for the optional 16" wheel is 225/45zr16. I called them and the person I spoke with said no, I should use a 215/45zr16.
                            The particular tire I am interested in is a 225/50zr16.

My question is: those who have had experience with 16" wheels, will a 225 tire rub? tires are not my strong suit, and I'm not sure if the middle number affects how well it will fit the rim. Also, would the tire size I want cause problems?(225/50zr16, closest size for the brand I want) Any exp/comments/help with this size wheel and tires would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ben
                            225 50 16 WILL rub.

Front suspension:
                            It rubs at 3/4 to full lock at the front and rubs heavily at the rear to abrade a portion of the wheelwell liner and paint off the unibody.

Rear suspension:
                            It will catch the sharp lip of the wheelwell on suspension compression and 2 or more passengers.

And this is on a car that has stock springs with some Bilstein sport jacking.

If you are looking at Gforce sports, I can 100% guarantee this occurence On a stock suspension. A lowered car will be worse.

m

Comment

My car is setup with gc coilovers and lowered. I ran the falken azenzis size 215/45/16 for autox and never had any rubbing. Now I have some bridgestone so3 225/50/16s on the car and they rub a good bit in the front. In fact, the po damaged both front fenders with them. However, now with the camber adjusted I only have inner rub.
                              I am thinking about mounting up a set of hoosiers 245/45/16 and working on fitment. They certainly would be sweet if I could get them to fit.
                              Cheers,
                              John
                              88M3 henna

73T100C
                              97 540\6-Gone
                              2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Working...
                              X