No announcement yet.

tire size for 16"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run 16"x8" BBS RK's with 245-45-16 Toyo RA-1's at all four corners. I did have to modify the fender lips at the rear and run pretty agressive front negative camber.
    Turbo S14-(Sold)

"....the BMW 4 cylinder turbocharged M13 engine reached nearly 1500bhp in qualifying trim!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cesare
      I run 16"x8" BBS RK's with 245-45-16 Toyo RA-1's at all four corners. I did have to modify the fender lips at the rear and run pretty agressive front negative camber.
      What suspension settings do you have?
      88M3 henna

73T100C
      97 540\6-Gone
      2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Originally posted by JungleJames
        I'm picking up a set of 16x8.5 soon. It's an odd size that isn't discussed all that much in the forums.

The debate is whether to run 225/45/16 or 245/45/16.

225 doesn't rub from what I've read, 245 has a chance of rubbing. I wish I could mount each size and have a go myself... but I can't.

(Maybe I could run 225 in front and 245 in the rear but I've read that understeer becomes very pronounced w/ staggered sizes)

I'm not looking for the super euro stretch look. I don't want to fight a rubbing battle either. Does anyone run a similar setup w/ comments on street use? Maybe even pics

I've run 225/45/16 on street wheels.. Borbet Type Ts...
        IIRC they were 16 x 7.5 ... no rubbing whatsoever...
        I've only heard of people running 245/45/16 with Toyo RA1s
        (which rubbed on my car .. I have Ground Control suspension)
        and also with Yokohama A032Rs .. which also rub.

They only rub in a major way when turning in parking lot..
        For a track car.. no biggie.. but for parallel parking or other
        parking lot manuvers on a street car... not a good idea IMHO.

225/50 is too tall.. I would not go there at all.. Sorry..
        no info on 245/45 street tires .. personally If I were you i would
        probablyerr on the convervative side and go with 225/45 for the street.

Check the mfr specs for the tire to see if they feel an 8.5" wide rim is ok.

Best of luck... too bad for me that you got 4 of the 8.5s... I wanted to buy all 8. :sosad:
        Mark Williams
        Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

I'm running -3 degrees on the front and it rubs just a bit on full lock. But it's mainly a weekend and open track car so no biggie for me.

For a street driven car, a 225-45-16 is about perfect. I dont think you will notice much of a difference at all jumping up to a 245mm tire. Plus, you have a larger choice of tires at 225mm.

If my car was not making as much power as it does, i would have stayed with a 225mm tire with no regrets.
          Turbo S14-(Sold)

"....the BMW 4 cylinder turbocharged M13 engine reached nearly 1500bhp in qualifying trim!"

Comment

Cesare is yours the Dinan turbo that is down at Joe's right now in Campbell getting a new exhaust fitted?

Comment

My Evo Sport.........16 by 8 front, 16 by 9 rear (BBS RS1's).....225 by 45 all round............no rubbing anywhere, anytime.

Bridgestone Potenzas's RE55S.

Comment

Check pm S4del...
                Turbo S14-(Sold)

Comment

Best of luck... too bad for me that you got 4 of the 8.5s... I wanted to buy all 8.
                  Thanks for the info Mark, sorry about your bad luck :nahnah:

Just kidding... I'm sure there's another set out there.

Comment

so 225/50/16 should work on 16x7 or 16x8 all around right?

Comment

I run 225/45-16 on 16x7.5 ET20 wheels (E28 M5), no rubbing.

For 16" wheels, the Evo (ET 27) or E28 M5 (ET 20) preserve the classic stock look, which as time goes by, I am growing to appreciate more and more. I have run aftermarket 16" and 17", but changed my evil ways. ;-)

Comment

I just mounted Toyo T1R 225/45/16 front and 245/45/16 rear. These are on BBS RS1 8 and 9's. The rear are rubbing really bad on the fender lip. I have ground control coil overs on the car. The sad part is that I ran the exact same size tires from Bridgestone (S03) and I had absolutely no rubbing. I would have continued with the Bridgestones but they do not make the 225/45 anymore. I will raise the rear a little tomorrow to see if this helps. My fenders are not rolled.
                        Speedrr
                        [email protected]

Comment

My fenders are rolled and that helps alot when trying to fit big tires. Hey, the M3's fenders were built to hold wide tires, so why not let them
                          Turbo S14-(Sold)

Comment

Working...
                          X