new windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new windshield

I have a 1988 e30 m3 with a cracked front windshield, My question is do you have to go through a bmw shop or can I buy the item elsewherea nd have it installed by somebody else for cheaper.
    If I can go through another shop any ideas would be great, I am having a hard time finding somebody,

thanks
    1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
    1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

I've gotten quotes from a private BMW shop for about $550 and two other quotes from generic glass shops for around $450. The BMW shop also uses an outside service. The labor to install looks to be about $100 in both cases. The e30 m3's windshield is a structural member (similar to many newer cars) while the e30's are not. I don't see any reason why a good glass shop could not do the install.

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL
    '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

so if I were to pick up a phone book and start calling around you think somebody might have something?
      1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
      1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

Comment

Not sure where your located, but I got a OEM brand windshield installed from Just Glass for under $400. I'm in dallas.

Robert M

Comment

Two very import details. One is that the installer needs to be super duper careful not to scratch the paint under the glue. A scratch down to the metal in there is going to become cancerous. No doubt about it.

The other detail is to be sure the installer is aware of the two drain holes in the bottom corners of the windshield frame. They CANNOT allow them to get clogged up with excess glue. They will allow the windshield to hold water under the seal (decorative, hardly protective) and then eventually begin the rusting process.

Personally, I'd gladly pay more for someone knowledgeable of our particular needs. Although these are probably fairly common concerns among all cars so most should probably know the deal.

HTH,
          Jake Larsen
          Last edited by Jake; 04-06-2004, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X