Evaporator Purge Valve Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaporator Purge Valve Relay

This post may belong in the NO-START, so my apologies. A few weeks ago my '91 M3 was dead. I hooked up the charger and immediately heard the culprit...a buzzing relay. Turns out to be the evap purge valve relay, PN 1390-1311-772. Found an old thread concerning the relay here, and just thought I would update it with info that I recieved from my BMW dealership, after a consult with the main service and tech people. PN 61361-388-911 relpaces PN 6131-1-373-916, which replaces PN 1390-1311-772.
    Nothing exciting or glamorous, but maybe of help to the next member! Thanks to DOMINIC and his OT!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08299.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	846799

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08298.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	846800

Thanks for the post. I've been wanting a replacement for this relay for a long time. I know others have asked about it too.

Comment

Hi,
      Is this relay located behind the plastic wiring cove at radiator catch tank area.
      Dave.

E30 M3 1987
      Mini Clubman GT
      BMW E36 323 Msport
      Toyota Corona
      KTM 200EXC
      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Yes, that is where it is located.
        Peter

sigpic

Comment

That is 100% the wrong relay and your “dealership with the main service and tech people” are unfortunately incorrect. This has been covered here before. The NLA relay that you need has a capacitor built in so the relay stays energized for a short while after power is removed. This prevents the car from ”dieseling” or continuing to run after the ignition switch is turned off. This usually only happens on hot day where there is sufficient vapors from the tank. The relay that you have only has a diode in it, which is used to eliminate the reverse voltage spike after the field collapses. This relay will definitely fix your “no start” problem due to the intake leak caused by the failed relay; however there isn’t anything special about it and you could use any standard 4-pin relay. You can however go to Radio Shack and buy the compactor you need then modify this one to work.

Originally posted by drinaldis
          I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Relay part #

Can someone provide up to date and accurate part numbers for the relays below. I am going to be replacing all three for a piece of mind.
            thanks.

Comment

Hi Guys
              Thanks for the info so far I am also keen to find out the BMW P/N of all three relays and I will replace them so I don't have the same non start/flat battery problems others have had.
              Dave.

E30 M3 1987
              Mini Clubman GT
              BMW E36 323 Msport
              Toyota Corona
              KTM 200EXC
              Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

So any news on a updated/ alternative relay? No new PN?
                Thanks!

Comment

??

Comment

Working...
                  X