Best year??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best year??????

trying to solve an argument on,which is the best year for an m3 1988 or 1991, also which year is worth more in the exact same condition

Tough one as its all preference. Pop outs/fixed, airbag or not.
    Price is better in the kbb for 91s
    88 is the largest production year so 91 are rarer

Comment

88 or 91? I'd say 91, because it's the last year. Later style window regulators, aluminum control arms, evo airbox. Things I dislike...sealed beams, airbag wheel and non pop out windows. Not a huge difference between years though.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I say '88... But I'm biased

Of course the last year, year with the lowest production, most features (airbags, etc.) will be worth slightly more, at this point it comes down to mileage.

The caveat for those of us with '87 production dates is, we now qualify under most insurance carriers for "Classic Car" 25 yr. status instead of just "Collector Car."
        Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd black 88 View Post
          Tough one as its all preference. Pop outs/fixed, airbag or not.
          Price is better in the kbb for 91s
          88 is the largest production year so 91 are rarer
          Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
          88 or 91? I'd say 91, because it's the last year. Later style window regulators, aluminum control arms, evo airbox. Things I dislike...sealed beams, airbag wheel and non pop out windows. Not a huge difference between years though.
          Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
          I say '88... But I'm biased

Of course the last year, year with the lowest production, most features (airbags, etc.) will be worth slightly more, at this point it comes down to mileage.

The caveat for those of us with '87 production dates is, we now qualify under most insurance carriers for "Classic Car" 25 yr. status instead of just "Collector Car."
          thanks guys!!!!! this four is the bst!!

Comment

Early build 1990. No airbag, but has aluminum control arms and fixed rear glass.

Comment

1988!!! just sounds cooler
              JAMES
              sigpic

Comment

Have two 89s and a 90. Like them both equally.

Comment

I don't think it matters.
                  Latter cars with Upgraded Valve springs maybe.
                  I'm partial to the seat heaters though.

m

Comment

most collector cars the earlier years bring the most money our cars offer more ammenities for the later years but these added weight i think the purists will want the earliest cars because those are the ones that offer the reason BMW built this car in the first place
                    Mike 6/87 built M3

Comment

85 the year BMW decided to buil E30 M3's

Comment

the best year............is the year you own!! YES!
                        "Straights are for fast cars,turns are for fast drivers"

Comment

Originally posted by s14dan View Post
                          the best year............is the year you own!! YES!
                          Agree 100%
                          1988 E30 M3 S38
                          1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

They all are great....none are better than others. We all have personal preferences, but I'd take any year, any color, any production run from bone stock to the Sport Evolution! Bottom line, any E30 M3 is as good or better than anything else on the road IMO, especially as time passes. Not very many "heart & soul" race bred cars on the streets back when these cars were "new" and it's even more rare today! How many cars "grab you" when you see one? Sure, there are some for sure, but the original M3 ranks very high IMO!

Comment

No, I say bullsh!t.

The 1989 is the best year.

The 88's got better later in the production but in 1989 the factory had hit their stride and were producing these cars consistently to a higher degree.

Then the first redesign, no vent windows ;(

Go take a ride with the windows down, sunroof back AND vent windows open. The airflow through the car is unique and disappears with the vent windows closed. Then it's all up in yo' face blowing your cigarette out and getting ashes in the car. (Yes, in my world that's important)

You don't want an airbag car so 90 and 91 are out.

Air bag cars has the dick lower panel under their steering wheels, plus higher wheel swap cost and complexity, extra light to go on on the dash for an expensive repair.

The control arm issue is moot, any car that's not on their second or third set of control arms needs them, and the rest have been done.

Air bags with 6 points harnesses are bad.

So go find an 89, they are the best.

Don't shy away from cars that have been tracked, I find they are in general kept up to a higher standard than someone's canyon carver with 3 year old brake fluid.

As for personal preference, silver over black. White's nice but the body lines are harder to see, black, same thing. Red, juvinile.

Just get a Lachsilber 89 with black leather and be done with it.

I promise.

Comment

Working...
                              X