Goodridge SS line failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodridge SS line failures

Has anyone else experienced a failure of these lines? I've been working a a big collection of e30's (10 w/1 M3), the owner swapped out all of the factory lines with Goodridge, 60 lines in all, so far 4 of the lines have failed, all the same way; the threads at the chassis end have corroded off and separated leaving the threads still attached to the hard line. I suspect it's because the hard line is steel and the Goodridge fitting is aluminum, they have that dissimilar metal corrosion look to them. He does run the cars in the winter, but none of the failed lines was more than 2 years old.

I have have them in my car for about three years and no issues so far.

Comment

We've seem a few at the shop, we dont offer them for sale, we go with DOT approved and tagged lines. They are pressure tested and DOT tagged incase there is ever a failure.

Unfortunately there is a lot of bad quality lines out there.

L
      Only one stop shop - New, Used & Euro Parts.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I just installed a set of these 2 weeks ago. I've run a set on my Datsun for at least 5 if not 6 years and haven't had an issue. I think the set that I just installed on the M3 says that its DOT approved.

Will
        '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
        '88 M3

Comment

Aluminum? The fitting is aluminum? I've never seen that. Steel and stainless is all I've run across. Very interesting. Have you maybe ran this across Goodridge? I'd bet they'd be very interested in your results.

Jake

Comment

Hi,
            My Goodridge set is all stainless fittings with no problems. I have seen a few sets on other makes also with stainless fittings, are you sure they are genuine and not a copy.
            Dave.

E30 M3 1987
            Mini Clubman GT
            BMW E36 323 Msport
            Toyota Corona
            KTM 200EXC
            Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

I'm sure they're genuine, they came from Bavauto, and he bought 60 lines. As for the material, the fittings may be stainless, but they look like aluminum, seem very light, and the thread corrosion is baffling if they are. They're very soft and non magnetic, but that doesn't rule out stainless either I guess.
              He runs only high end Dot 4 and has decided to swap them all back to new stock lines now.
              He was in contact with Goodridge today and they want some photos of the failed lines, so they're at least a little concerned about it. I'll keep you posted on developments.

Comment

Strange.

I ordered a set of "DOT" stainless braided brake hoses a few years ago, I think from Bav Auto but not sure. Anyway, they showed up with aluminum fittings. I realize they could more than take the pressure....but I dunno I just feel brake fittings should be steel.

So I returned the "DOT" hoses and assembled my own with stainless steel fittings. No problems yet.

Comment

I have a vague memory of this somewhere... failing aluminum fittings on brake lines. Hmm... Need to do some digging.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                    I have a vague memory of this somewhere... failing aluminum fittings on brake lines. Hmm... Need to do some digging.

Jake
                    There was a flap about the quality of Goodridge a few years ago.
                    I chose a different manufacturer as a result.
                    When It comes to brakes, even a bad rumor will influence me.

m

Comment

My goodridge lines are dot approved, stainless steel fittings, braided stainless lines with a clear PVC (or some type of vinyl coating) covering.

Mine were bought from turner years back iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd black 88 View Post
                        My goodridge lines are dot approved, stainless steel fittings, braided stainless lines with a clear PVC (or some type of vinyl coating) covering.

Mine were bought from turner years back iirc.
                        Not to nitpick here but this is actually essential, DOT does not approve or disapprove anything, it sets standards to which manufacturers can claim they comply. So nobody from DOT has tested those lines.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
                          Not to nitpick here but this is actually essential, DOT does not approve or disapprove anything, it sets standards to which manufacturers can claim they comply. So nobody from DOT has tested those lines.
                          this is correct, thats what differentiate DOT approved and tagged. When it is tagged it means each line is tested on a machine and a number is printed on it. If it does fail it can be traced back to the manufacturer. These are the lines which are of better quality for obvious reasons.
                          Only one stop shop - New, Used & Euro Parts.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                            this is correct, thats what differentiate DOT approved and tagged. When it is tagged it means each line is tested on a machine and a number is printed on it. If it does fail it can be traced back to the manufacturer. These are the lines which are of better quality for obvious reasons.
                            I don't know if I quite agree with that. I think any quality stainless braided Teflon hose assembled with quality fittings will be of the same quality...any pressure checking is just to ensure no defective units get through quality control.

For example, as mentioned above the "DOT" lines I bought had aluminum fittings. For brake parts I would much rather have steel.

The key is just making sure the parts are assembled properly, are of the correct length, and are installed correctly.

Comment

Approx 10 years and still going.

They are available with either zinc plated mild steel fittings or stainless steel, they also carry a 'lifetime warranty'.

Schwarz 1990 Sport Evolution

Comment

Working...
                              X