having hard time with 1st and 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having hard time with 1st and 2nd gear

when shifting into 1st and then 2nd I have a very hard time, any ideas?
    1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
    1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

Redline MTL might help if you are not already using it.

Other than that replace your shifter carrier bushings, that might help a little if they are worn.

Beyond these things it must be internal transmission, outta my league. I have similar problems with second. Downshifting into second is VERY slow unless I match revs perfectly. I assume it is just worn synchros due to high miles.

Comment

Mine was showing similar problems. Drained the fluid and it looked like gold paint. Mine was cooked for sure. Dont want to get you worried too early as there are some more things to check first, but it is probable.

Comment

are you having a problem shifting into first AND second ?

I can go into first very easily but its an absolute bitch going into second

I just had my mechanic change out the fluid to Redline MTL I'll let you know how that goes

Jeff
        1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

I have to do like a double pump into 3rd now... only when going from 2nd to 3rd, not 4th to 3rd. It's been like that since I broke the shift lever and replaced it with a weighted unit. I'm going to replace all the bushings and flush the fluid soon to see if that cures it. I really hope my tranny isn't blown though!! You guys are making me nervous now.

Comment

Never overlook the simplest things guys.

Is it easy to get the car into gear when the motor is NOT running?

If it's only hard shifting while running, then you simply need a clutch.

No internal transmission failure or anything weird like that.

Comment

adam, would a worn clutch only be one or two gears ?

I guess 1st and 2nd are the hardest...the rest do seem to always shift easier given the speed...

jeff
              1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

Comment

Don't forget worn out trans mounts!! If these collapse they will make it hard to shift.

Fist thing first, change to MTL, and maybe refresh the shifter assembly, then trans mounts.

Do not click
                At least it's German

Comment

The hardest shift for me is 3rd to 2nd at speed. Also when the car is cold it is a bitch to get into first gear for the first time. After that it goes in easily. Have had a short shift installed not so long ago, and that hasnt fixed the problem. Might try the Redline then the tranny mounts.

Comment

It's your clutch

Comment

when the car is turned off it shifts great. The problem is when the car is running, so you think it might be that my clutch is not properly disengaging when the car is running, and that is making it hard. If that was the case though wouldn't I hear a grinding of some kind?
                      1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
                      1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

Comment

No grinding necessary for a clutch problem where it doesn't disengage. I had the same in the M5, getting into any gear from a stop was an absolute bear and I could actually feel the car moving just a touch on flat surfaces with the clutch in while trying to shift into gear. The clutch was fine, but the throwout bearing needed replacement along with the clutch slave cylinder. I don't know which part was actually the source of the problem, but its all good now.

Comment

1st and 2nd gear, cold start. Had the same problem recently! Redline MTL solve it!

audibm

Comment

Originally posted by audibm
                            1st and 2nd gear, cold start. Had the same problem recently! Redline MTL solve it!

audibm
                            True, if it only does it when cold then it could be time for an oil change. But if it does it at all times then check your clutch itsef and the throwout bearing. On my car the surface where the throwout bearing contats the release arm had worn and this made the bearing sit back further than it should so it couldnt push the pressure plate all the way in.

Comment

Yep only when its cold. After 2 minutes of driving it goes into 1st and 2nd fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X