Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket alarm suggestions

Hi all,

I'm getting close to adding on an aftermarket alarm system to the M3 and I wanted to jot down any suggestions you all might have. It's been a while since I've purchased one, but I remember having good results with viper brand alarms.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something that's reliable and gets the job done. Would love to hear your thoughts on brands/models that you've had good experience with. Thanks in advance.

-Carlos

DEI alarms have always been good to me but there are also some other newer quality alarms these days that are just as good. Sytek? and Omega are a few of the cheaper alarms that can be had for around $50 + installation (I've installed 2). I personally went with Omega K9 Eclipse brand alarms and have no complaints. I'd say they are just as good as the DEI Viper for a fraction of the price. How well an alarm works, depends mostly on the installation, which is why most will only warranty their systems if it's installed by a professional.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I say don,t do it. Too many hack jobs, unless you do it yourself. I,ve ripped quite a few out. Amazing,

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
        DEI alarms have always been good to me but there are also some other newer quality alarms these days that are just as good. Sytek? and Omega are a few of the cheaper alarms that can be had for around $50 + installation (I've installed 2). I personally went with Omega K9 Eclipse brand alarms and have no complaints. I'd say they are just as good as the DEI Viper for a fraction of the price. How well an alarm works, depends mostly on the installation, which is why most will only warranty their systems if it's installed by a professional.
        Thanks for the input. I've never heard of the other brands mentioned, but I'll definitely look into them.

Originally posted by erik bernstein View Post
        I say don,t do it. Too many hack jobs, unless you do it yourself. I,ve ripped quite a few out. Amazing,
        My initial thoughts were the same. Unfortunately, my car *might* have to spend sometime in a public garage and I'd like to add an additional layer of protection - even if it's not all that much.

Comment

IMO, it's worth it just for the keyless entry feature alone. Saves your keys and locks from wear and tear.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I'm picking up the viper pager alarm.
            Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Previous:
            '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
            '07 DTM Audi S4
            '03 VF Supercharged M3
            '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

Carlos, you can check out my Clifford system at the meet on Sunday. it's very basic and works well

Comment

Originally posted by kamakevie View Post
                Carlos, you can check out my Clifford system at the meet on Sunday. it's very basic and works well
                Perfect. Out of curiosity, was it installed somewhere local to Sac?

Comment

no it was installed in sd when I was in school there

Comment

You may want to consider just installing a hidden kill switch
                    REGISTER YOU M CAR IN THE M REGISTRY TO HELP TRACK ALL THE REMAINING E30 M3s
                    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/registry.php

Comment

Clifford 2-way here. Really nice because it kills the car and updates your remote with any intrusion, as long as you're in range of the remote.
                      sigpic

1990 M3 Diamond Schwartz/Silver
                      1989 325is Zinnoberrot/Black
                      Things I've flown and driven

Comment

Originally posted by JeffNJM3 View Post
                        ^ x2... Although if someone really wants it, it's gone. I parked my custom Bug, Alpine alarm, fuel and ignition kill switches, The Club and pulled the coil wire... They found the pan 6 months later in an alley.
                        Rich!

Comment

I am looking for a shop to install an alarm / keyless entry. I am in Orange County, CA, but willing to travel to LA or IE for the right person/shop. The right person/shop will take extreme care to protect the interior of my car and its wiring.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
                          Mark
                          John 3:17

Comment

No suggestions for you I'm afraid, but maybe a little advise. Most modern alarms come with two circuit immobilization allowing you to kill two
                            circuits when the alarm is activated. Most alarm installers will use one of the circuits to kill power to the starter which is IMHO a waste, as the majority
                            of car thiefs stealing cars from a residential area will hot wire the ignition and then bump start the car to avoid the extra noise and risk of detection
                            of a cold engine cranking over. The other thing thtas usually over looked is the bonnet switch to trigger the alarm when the bonnet is opened.
                            If a thief can get this open without triggering the alarm then the rest is not as hard. The more difficult it is to defeat your bonnet switch the longer it
                            will usually take an average thief to steal your car.
                            Again most installers will fit this on the front slam panel for ease of fitment while if they put in the extra effort and fitted it to the rear edge of the bonnet
                            (at the windscreen end) it becomes harder to defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffNJM3 View Post
                              This is likely the route I'm going..

Though, as mentioned - if someone wants it, they'll find a way to take it - sadly for owner.

Figured a kill switch would deter them enough to move onto next vehicle, and not cause any
                              damage to car - because of failed theft attempt.

Also considering a quick-release steering wheel hub.
                              One letter. One number. One legend ///M3.

Comment

Working...
                              X