Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironhead
    replied
    Ireland engineering makes a 3inch underdrive pulley for the M10 crank, which should be similar to the S14 crank inthat area.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it "critical" that the crank pulley retain the vibration damping design of the original pulley? IIRC, some members of the Honda tuning crowd had SPECTACULARLY short main bearing life after substituting their damping pulleys with simple metal replacements.

I was really impressed with the concept, but I too had the same bad experience with their "CAD" software...I could hardly draw a box with some circles in it...fillets, etc...forget about!
    The drawing is the easy part. After that, you have to select the material you want it made out of. Then it won't let you select a size that will work. Then it asks you to specify what type of machine will be making each cut on your item (I.E. "3-axis CNC mill").......and the trail of instructions you are supposed to follow is ANYTHING but intuitive.

I suspect, the whole thing is kind of under capitalized, inadequately developed, and FAR from realizing its potential.

Or it could be just that I am an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• rongineer
    replied
    I was really impressed with the concept, but I too had the same bad experience with their "CAD" software...I could hardly draw a box with some circles in it...fillets, etc...forget about!

Ron

Leave a comment:

• LeeVuong
    replied
    Ireland engineering makes a 3inch underdrive pulley for the M10 crank, which should be similar to the S14 crank inthat area.

They cell it for $125 usd

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Before you get too excited about emachine (like I did), you might try using it. I just messed with it for a little while and it had me pulling my hair out. I couldn't figure out how to have them make a ANYTHING.

Try it, you'll see what I mean. NOT user friendly, other than for doodling like "paint".

I suspect they are expecting their customers to have some machine/fabrication background.
    Last edited by Ironhead; 04-25-2004, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris F.
    replied
    Based on their prices, a group buy would work out pretty nicely.

Keep us updated.

Leave a comment:

• EVOIIIM3
    replied
    Originally posted by UNHCLL
    Why would you want an underdrive pulley for the alt? Its already "underdriven" correct? Wouldnt the addition of another even more severe UDP for the alt threaten the powering capabilities of alt during use??

~Trying to learn, not argue!

Thanks,
    No, not really. The Alt will charge at idle stock, you just have to turn on the exciter circuit with a blip of the throttle.

UDP may change things a little down low in the PRM range. But up high it will not only give you a little HP back, but still work fine.

Maybe if you have a big stereo, and never rev past 2000rpms that it might not be so good, but in a track car, or a car that is driven, it's fine.

I have UDP on my E34 and they made a big difference to throttle response and revving.
    So far I have not had any problems at all.

10% is nothing, so instead of 1000 RPM you would need 1100RPM for the same rotational speed. There may be problems if you go over 20%.

Remember, BMW did this on the DTM cars.

Leave a comment:

• UNHCLL
    replied
    Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
    I'd be in on some under drive pulleys!
    Alt, PS & WP.

I'm thinking like 10-13% reduction and hopefully loose a little weight, but they already are pretty light.
    Why would you want an underdrive pulley for the alt? Its already "underdriven" correct? Wouldnt the addition of another even more severe UDP for the alt threaten the powering capabilities of alt during use??

~Trying to learn, not argue!

Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• EVOIIIM3
    replied
    I'd be in on some under drive pulleys!
    Alt, PS & WP.

I'm thinking like 10-13% reduction and hopefully loose a little weight, but they already are pretty light.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Well, if you mean the crank pulley, it is more than just a piece of metal. There is rubber in there also for damping functions.

How could they duplicate that?

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian3
    started a topic Custom Pulleys / Emachineshop.com?

Custom Pulleys / Emachineshop.com?

http://www.emachineshop.com/

What do you guys think? Think it's worth the time and effort for producing a lighter pulley? I was reading through the new GR magazine and saw this ad.
Working...
X