replacing E30 M3 rear windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing E30 M3 rear windscreen

my rear window glass was broke and it needs replacing, how or where can i get hold of a replacement? any suggestions? help. also im in need of the trim the sits around the outer edge of the payne. TIA

Dealer would really be your best bet for these items..

Comment

I just did this back in September. OEM glass is only available in my area through the dealer, but Safelite can do the install. Unlike the front windshield, the rear glass is a standard urethane glue-in. The black trim (3 pieces) and the clips (18 required) that hold it on are also available from the dealer.
      I strongly recommend new trim clips, because the old ones will likely be brittle and break when the trim is removed.
      After the tornado last April, I needed a new front windshield (tree branch went through it). It took about a month to get it done, because the glass had to come from Germany. I decided on a dealer install, since I had heard horror stories about aftermarket jobs that resulted in rusting and/or leakage.
      The problem with installing the M3 front windshield is because the body was designed for a rubber mount windshield. The space around the glass is very tight, and the mounting surface is much lower. That means that the urethane must be applied in two layers, allowing it to cure for 24 hours in between.
      In August, a rock was thrown from my neighbor's lawn mower into the rear glass. Once again, the glass had to come from Germany.
      Fortunately, I have zero deductible insurance, which paid for both jobs.
      I am due for some better luck in 2012.
      Last edited by John Arnold; 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM.
      John
      88 ///M3 Cinnabar
      84 318i Black
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X