Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Idle

Hi all,

I did a search but seems like people are talking Greek. I recently changed out my TPS as the car would crank and not start, TPS sensor was suggested to be the problem. Previous to that I changed out the temp (blue) sensor. Well now the car idles higher that before from 9k to 13k and sounds really rough. On top of that theres this high pitch whiny sound like the fan is on but it's not. Oh the car is a 1974 2002 with s s14 engine swap. Has good power and pickup, no loss there. Any ideas? Also please bear with me as I'm a total newbie and learning as I go along. Thanks guys.

I don't think the tps was your problem with not starting...
    I disconnected mine to diagnose my high idle problem and my car still started.

I found my high idle came from the tps never being on the idle mode.
    So I loosened it and turned it tighter ( so at no throttle the tps clicked), and my idle instantly went down.
    Try that.

Comment

I had the ICV fail on me. burnt up transistors inside my ecu. do a search on that. car still ran just no control over the idle. good luck

Comment

sounds like vacume leak yo me .I know a intake manifold leak will do this.
        I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mavrikno13764 View Post

So I loosened it and turned it tighter ( so at no throttle the tps clicked), and my idle instantly went down.
          Try that.
          Please explain the clicking set up. So with the ignition on, you press the accelerator and you should hear a click then let go and hear another click? If that doesn't happen (and it should as its new) I loosen the screw holding the TPS on and turn what part? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by redphu72 View Post
            Please explain the clicking set up. So with the ignition on, you press the accelerator and you should hear a click then let go and hear another click? If that doesn't happen (and it should as its new) I loosen the screw holding the TPS on and turn what part? Thanks.
            You're basically adjusting the position of the TPS relative the throttle shaft. The stock TPS has 3 positions -- idle, part throttle, full throttle. You want the TPS to be in the idle position (no switches engaged) when the throttles are closed. If the throttles are closed but the TPS is installed to engage one switch then you are telling the ECU you want part throttle when it's supposed to be idling.

HTH,

-Ken

Comment

How would you suggest I re-install the TPS?

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mavrikno13764 View Post

Try that.
                I did just that and it worked. Which way did you turn it? Just making sure.

Comment

My car is getting new bushings installed and I dont remember without the reference.

I am glad I can help though!

Comment

Working...
                  X