• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• julien
    replied
    Originally posted by SP-M3E30 View Post
    False for the mount.
    Hubs with a reverse thread have to be mounted on passenger's side (standard LHD) and standard thread on the driver side.

This is due to the resisting torque.

this is what I mean, when you go forward it is in the tightening direction

Leave a comment:

• 02fanatic
    replied
    I thought we were talking about wheel center caps, not thread nuts....oh well

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    BUT....

Would more (potentially) loosening torque be applied to the nut during braking or during acceleration? That is an important question.

I am sure the answer depends a lot on the car, but in general I would think much greater force would be applied during braking. If you locked a wheel traveling at high speed, that would effect the nut almost like an impact wrench...either tightening or loosening it depending on the thread direction.

I mention this, because resisting loosening torque during acceleration would require the opposite thread orientation from that which would resist loosening during braking.....
    Last edited by Ironhead; 06-02-2012, 11:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SP-M3E30
    replied
    Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
    ...theory is that the thread tightens opposite the direction of wheel rotation, thus maintaining tightness.

John
    That's why I'm talking about "resisting torque"

Leave a comment:

• 02fanatic
    replied
    Lee,

Actually it makes the most sense for right hand thread (std) being on the Driver Side, and left hand thread (reverse) being on the Pass Side...theory is that the thread tightens opposite the direction of wheel rotation, thus maintaining tightness.

John

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
    Actually, after thinking about it, I think that the reverse thread shall be on the driverside (LHD car).
    Last edited by 02fanatic; 06-02-2012, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SP-M3E30
    replied
    Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
    Actually, after thinking about it, I think that the reverse thread shall be on the driverside (LHD car).
    Do you have a reason to think that ?

Look at this video at 2'05"

"...the right side of the car is a reverse thread and the left side is a standard thread..."

Last edited by SP-M3E30; 06-02-2012, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LeeVuong
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LeeVuong
    replied
    Originally posted by SP-M3E30 View Post
    Hubs with a reverse thread have to be mounted on passenger's side (standard LHD) and standard thread on the driver side.
    This makes a lot of sense.

Leave a comment:

• SP-M3E30
    replied
    Originally posted by julien View Post
    there are hub right and left, when you ride forward, the wheel rotates in the direction of tightening the screw
    False for the mount.

This is due to the resisting torque.

Leave a comment:

• julien
    replied
    there are hub right and left, when you ride forward, the wheel rotates in the direction of tightening the screw

Leave a comment:

• fourmotion
    started a topic Centre Locks

Centre Locks

Does anyone definitely know if you need right and left handed thread on centre locks and if so, which side goes where?

Cheers,

Warren
Working...
X