Removing the oil filter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the oil filter...

Got through the oil change, without too much problem, but what a total bitch the filter is to get out. I ended up coming up and around the intake plenum. You folks have any tricks you picked up over the years on how to not make this a 2 beer job?

Will
    Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere - one shunt at a time.

it should only take about 2 mintues to change the oil filter....remove the rubber intake elbow...remove and replace oil filter....re-install rubber intake elbow.

Or just run no plenum...just small filters off the throttle bodies....GOD I LOVE THIS MAXX KIT....:evil:

Comment

Yeah, basically what I did. Getting around the hoses and whatnot was a bitch. It may have been because I had to hold a flashlight, it was midnight, and I had a 5 AM wakeup to hit the track. Oh well. Thanks.
      Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere - one shunt at a time.

Comment

Take out your airbox. disconnect the AFM and remove the rubber bellow off the plenum. Have a can of brake clean on hand too so you can spray the inevitable drips of oil off the top of the oil pan. Ensures you wont *think* you have an oil leak later on.

HTH
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

definately take out the airbox and what I did was rotate the oil cooling lines a tiny bit so there was a little more room to work with. I would also take a plastic grocery bag and put it around the filter....this really helps keep the oil in one place rather than on the garage floor.......

Its definately a bitch no matter what though.

Comment

i used the plastic bag too. Worked pretty good for me

Comment

I remove the airbox... I can do it in about 2min each way now. Yes it's a royal pain in the ass. You would think they might engineer the most frequent maintance item to be a bit more accessible... but oh no.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau
                You would think they might engineer the most frequent maintance item to be a bit more accessible... but oh no.
                thats one area that they woke up with as far as the e36 M3's go.....one of the easiest oil changes available exist on those cars.

Comment

The problem asides from having to remove the airbox, seems to be the location and angle of the filter itself. And the very small amount of space to work in. So I came across this oil filter wrench from Griot's Garage that crushes the old filter (won't be reused anyway.. ) but does not slip at all. Now it takes me all of 15+ minutes to change oil and filter.. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeric
                    The problem asides from having to remove the airbox, seems to be the location and angle of the filter itself. And the very small amount of space to work in. So I came across this oil filter wrench from Griot's Garage that crushes the old filter (won't be reused anyway.. ) but does not slip at all. Now it takes me all of 15+ minutes to change oil and filter.. :-)
                    Honestly you should not need any sort of wrench to remove an oil filter...if you do..you are way over tightening it...this is a big mistake.

Once the rubber gasket on teh filter touches you only need to go 1/2 or 3/4 turn further....which is easily done by hand and easily removed by hand.

Hope that helps

Comment

When i had the stock intake on my car i just removed the intake boot and reached for the oil filter with a rag so i could grip it. Now with the CF box I can just reach under it enough to grab the filter without removing anything.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
                        Honestly you should not need any sort of wrench to remove an oil filter...if you do..you are way over tightening it...this is a big mistake.

Once the rubber gasket on teh filter touches you only need to go 1/2 or 3/4 turn further....which is easily done by hand and easily removed by hand.

Hope that helps
                        Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated! I normally just hand tighten the filter with a dry rag, but there are times when it would refuse to budge for some reason when it comes time to replace it. That's the reason for the wrench..

Comment

Originally posted by Jeric
                          Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated! I normally just hand tighten the filter with a dry rag, but there are times when it would refuse to budge for some reason when it comes time to replace it. That's the reason for the wrench..
                          Even by hand you can over tighten it....it does get "stuck" on there a little tighter with time though....but you should be able to get it off by hand...dont forget to put some oil around the gasket on the filter before install

Comment

ive noticed aftermarket oil filter relocation packages out there are there any for our cars out there
                            SrA USAF

Comment

you need one of these

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                              they are not idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X