Compression Gauge/sparkplug Socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Gauge/sparkplug Socket

I have a Compression gauge that has served me well over the years. But on the M3, the treads are different. Should I just re-tap the sparkplug hole to standardize everything............
    Or better yet can someone recommend a gauge that supports these threads.

Of course the plugs that are in it now have an 18mm bolt while an 18mm socket's outer diameter is too thick to fit into the hole provided by BMW. Should I take a Sawzall to the head to make the necessary clearance............Or has anyone been able to find the suitable 18mm socket from a popular vendor... sears/autozone/pepboys/ etc...
    BTW: these are the plugs that came in the car so I'm not sure that standard 5/8's bolt plugs arenít available, If the consensus is that another plug bolt width is available, can some one post a part number?
    SteveZ

LOL! Yes, by all means use a Sawzall!

I have a standard socket (can't remember what exact size) that I got at Pep Boyz and then sanded down with a power sander. The outside of the socket was too big before I sanded. This socket works for the Bosch plugs.

Comment

ever heard of Hazet?

John

Comment

Originally posted by John
        ever heard of Hazet?

John
        Is it a company that makes a compression guage with the correct threading?
        SteveZ

Comment

or make an adapter.

audibm

Comment

The plugs are generally "motorcycle" type plugs.

WHY THE F&C% would you hack apart the head, due to a spark plug socket? It just doesn't make sense!!

Hazet makes a socket for around $30. There is one in the tool kit! If the plugs in there are a little to big, take a rubber mallet to the facoty tool to snug it up on the plug to take them out. Then put in the CORRECT plugs.

DO NOT tap the spark plug holes, that will waste your head, if you want to do a compression test, go and buy a new tool for $30 with the correct adapter for the S14, I got mine from Sears.

If you are not willing to spend money on the proper tools and parts, sell your M3 and go buy a Honda!!

Do not click
            At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3

WHY THE F&C% would you hack apart the head, due to a spark plug socket? It just doesn't make sense!!

Hazet makes a socket for around $30. There is one in the tool kit! If the plugs in there are a little to big, take a rubber mallet to the facoty tool to snug it up on the plug to take them out. Then put in the CORRECT plugs.

DO NOT tap the spark plug holes, that will waste your head, if you want to do a compression test, go and buy a new tool for $30 with the correct adapter for the S14, I got mine from Sears.

If you are not willing to spend money on the proper tools and parts, sell your M3 and go buy a Honda!!
              I think he was kidding...
              "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3

yikes.
                easy buddy.. How much coffee did you drink this morning?
                SteveZ

Comment

Originally posted by catfishez
                  yikes.
                  easy buddy.. How much coffee did you drink this morning?
                  I live in Seattle, there is Coffee in Baby bottles here!

Cheap shortcuts get under my skin! It hurts to see good cars go to hell! It's like Child Abuse, but worse!

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

yeah but..... DUDE!
                    I wrote that thinking it was too outragous for anyone to take seriuosly. But it depends on your mood when you read it, sarcasm can be tough to pick up on in text.

No worries about whether or not I'm worthy of owning an M3, I've been passively looking for an E30M3 for years and in the meantime I've paid my dues in wrenchtime with other cars. In the driveway right now is a 91 MR2-t with 300hp, 2000lb VW Gti 2.0 16V-t with another $4k in suspension, brakes and rims/tires[SCCA solo II outlaw] and of course the M3 (bonestock and staying that way).

The only reason I asked the question about the compression guage is that neither Sears, autozone or advanced auto had the right fitting and I was beginning to think it might have to be ordered. I've however found a decent gauge with the right fitting at pepboys since posting.

SteveZ

Comment

Working...
                    X