Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End Of An Era.....

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I made contact on S14, looking for advice and dribbling at some of the project all you guys seem to be involved in. S14 is a great encyclopaedia of knowledge for the E30 M3. 2 Project spring to mind - The first with regards to the 8 series brake conversion for the M3 about 6 or 7 years ago if I recall correctly and the other is more recent, the V10 conversion, which is awesome.

My reason for writing is to thank all you guys for your inputs, banter and knowledge that has helped me with my own M3 and I am sure it would not have survived as long as it has without you.

Today I can confirm that I have now sold my baby - The amazing Sterling Silver 215bhp late model - Grey check cloth interior, 16" BBS, Air Con, Electric windows and mirrors, NO SUNROOF and the usual refinements. She was by no means perfect and would need a little work around the scuttle area and some TLC and perhaps updating a few interior items.

No sooner has the advert gone live, the phone was buzzing. Within an hour I had a 500 deposit at 3:00pm and gone by 7:00pm. It would appear that most if not all the calls were from a band of dealers all trying to get this bargain motor. Each caller asked where the buyer came from and they seemed to know each other.

I was happy with the money I received and if anyone chooses to upgrade, tart-up and speculate for a higher selling price, using their time, effort and resources, then I am happy for them. I did not have the time, the space or the money to speculate.

I am happy (and unhappy) that my car, owned for 13yrs years will live on instead of rotting away, travelling only a few thousand kilometres a year.

I will still visit S14 and probably as usual drool at all your smart looking machines. Perhaps one day when times are different I could be back in the family.

Cheers Phil
    Phil
    E30 M3 - The Original Inspiration

i once did that
    sold an 88 M3
    looking to get back into one soon
    i'm turning 40 soon , and i realized it was the car that gave me the most fun to drive
    i've had 2 E92 M3s in the meantime, very nice car, great engine, but too fat and heavy

iso i'm going to buy another E30 M3 soon

Comment

I sold my DS last year and purchased a 72 Chevelle SS convertible. I kept it for 7 months and liked the very much but, really missed driving my M3. I sold the Chevelle and purchased another M3 with no regrets. I really had to get the Chevelle out of my system and now all is good....
      sigpic

Comment

I hear ya......I sold my '67 Chevelle SS 396 (L78) in '71 (I bought it new!...only 612 made with the 375HP engine)....very rare! I've been missing that car for decades....haven't found it yet...if I do, I'll be in trouble! LOL! That car made me learn to NOT sell cars close to my heart...only buy and build a bigger garage!

And good luck Phil! You "will" be back!

John

Originally posted by Tom64 View Post
        I sold my DS last year and purchased a 72 Chevelle SS convertible. I kept it for 7 months and liked the very much but, really missed driving my M3. I sold the Chevelle and purchased another M3 with no regrets. I really had to get the Chevelle out of my system and now all is good....
        Last edited by 02fanatic; 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I hope it went to a good home so that it can be driven and perhaps restored a little more. I am anxiously awaiting for mine to leave the body shop soon from a respray and cleanup. My first was a 91' brilliantrot/black in 92' and at the time I didnt fully appreciate the car like I do now. I got into muscle cars with lots of power so I became more of a straight speed junkie than a driver per se. Since then I have gone through many cars and several restores and for the past 10 years BMW has been in my garage in one form or another. When searching for a car I wanted a higher mileage or not fully restored car so that's could put some TLC into it and make it a weekend car without the concerns of having a garage queen. Granted I put money into the respray and will put more into the car for performance or handling it will still be a driven car and that was key.

Like others on this board many have sold and regretted and are fortunate enough to be able to move back to the E30 M3 again or several M3's.

Abe someday you will return to another one. Wish you all the best.

Comment

Bittersweet. Your taking the time to post this reflects positively on your character and on the S14.net community. Best of luck to you!

Comment

I am dreading the day I will make a similar post. All and all, you are certainly not doing yourself a favor by hanging onto a car that doesn't get the right "exercise". All the best!

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys - the market for E30 M3's in the UK is all about profiteering and like my car, snapped up by dealers to spend a couple of grand and then putting back onto the market for a quick profit. Looking at www.pistonheads.com shows you how speculators are cashing in on the rarity of the car. Munich Legends are an ace company, but are some of these cars really worth the money they advertise. I know that my car will be on the market again within a month or so and probably advertised at twice what I sold it for. Am I bothered, not really only that any new owner should check the car thoroughly, life carpets, use their nose (some suffer from damp). The buyer of my car had already purchased the car in their mind before viewing, he took all of 5mins. to offer a deposit and when he came round to collect it a couple of hours later, again a couple of glances at the car and off they went.

If I am in the market again to buy another of these awesome machines, I think I will do my homework and probably go to Germany or abroad to source. I spent 4yrs searching and looking before, so why not do again someday.
                Phil

Comment

Was that your car on pistonheads for 9k?

GARY.
                  sigpic

Comment

Phil,
                    Well done and hope you don't miss it too much. If you're happy just don't log back onto pistonheads next month when it has it's new scuttle.

Bearing in mind a non sunroof shell and running 215bhp motor must be worth 8-9k in GB/EU on their own, I think it's inevitable you would attract speculators at the level you pitched it at.

Comment

Its a shame that your car was bought by a dealer and not an enthusiast.

At least you had 13yrs of fun out of that.
                      There is only one M3, the E30 M3

Comment

Gary: I put my car up for sale for 8K and was sold within minutes online and I changed the add to sold - It has nowbeen removed on instruction by the new owner - It will be back for sale within weeks that is guarenteed. Administrators of Pistonheads needed to confirm the validity of the original advert and today (Monday 02/07/2012) made the advert LIVE again. Within seconds I received another phone call.

Speculators are rife at the moment - Talking to some of the callers, they have been candid with information and most cars can be sold without being seen - They just want the chassis no. and log book in their hands. They want a roadworthy, MOT'd car that doesnt need too much work in their eyes.

My car needed repairs to the scuttle, front bumber, rear spoiler, boot seal, wheel refurbishment and a complete service and definitely a comprehensive valet.

If I had a garage, time and effort then things would have been so much different and I would be one of those speculators. But I am not in that game and didnt want to play! My mind is now free of the worry of driving the car, insurance, tax and up-keep and my bank balance is looking more healthy.

Levin: I certainly had fun and I am sure it will end up in the hands of an enthusiast.....but not anytime soon.
                        Phil

Comment

Phil as long as your happy 'what the hell' it's only a car.

GARY.
                          sigpic

Comment

So is this your old car up for sale again already Phil?

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/4040313.htm

Comment

Hi phil it's shame you didn't post on here first I would have bought that one n restored it I did ring but was beaten to it , it was nice talking to u
                              Last edited by diln; 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X