Temp gauge & Temp range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp gauge & Temp range?

I'm going to buy a coolant temp gauge for my car. Which temperature range makes more sense?

140-280F
    120-240F

(full sweep, 2 1/16, mechanical gauges)

The difference is probably negligible as (I'd guess) our normal operating temp is somewhere in the middle of both of these ranges, but I thought I'd double check.

Thanks

There is no gauge that goes from 0-280F? *How did you get that little o*? Why not digital?

Comment

I don't think you'd want 0-280 the range would be too wide. The wider the range the less sensitive the gauge can be. Plus, 0 would be one cold assed motor, the gauge would never be in that area.

I don't like digital gauges, too hard to read at a glance IMO.

Comment

Well I was reading something in a book about the M3 operating temp, and it's from like 180-280...

Did you decide?

Comment

Thanks Mike,
          I haven't decided. I still can't find a definitive answer. Although I was leaning toward the higher temp one.

Where did you read 180-280? +- 100 seems like a wide range. I'm just guessing though, I have no idea.

Comment

From what I know on the E30 325is, the normal operating temperature of the coolant was around 185F. Any higher than 210 and the auxiliary fan kicked on. I'd say you probably want to shut it down if you got higher than 225 or so.

Will
            Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere - one shunt at a time.

Comment

In case anyone cares... Normal operating temp of the S14 is 176 F

Comment

So I was close... so I take it your getting the 140-280?

Comment

I was actually leaning toward the 120-240. Check it out. Seems like the first one here will be better suited for displaying the 180 range. Thoughts?

Here's the 120-240:

Here's the 140-280:

Comment

first one for sure. The second guage looks so hard to read at a glance, too much going on. just my opinion.
                    -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
                    http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
                    PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

If I were you, I'd rotate the gauge so that 176 degrees points straight up.
                      It'll make it easier to read at a glance.
                      -Han

Comment

true to your sig Matt

Comment

Working...
                        X