Mounting the engine flat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting the engine flat...

Would this produce more torque? Is this possible on the s14 engine?

I don't know the first thing about the ramifications of doing this. But if I had to guess, I think the biggest problem would be oil management. As far as I know, even with a dry sump the motor still depends on gravity to feed oil back down to the sump.

Comment

You'd unbalance the car a bit too. Notice that everything (except that damn AC) is mounted on the drivers side to coutner act some of the weight of the angle.

Comment

also, the engine is very tall. so it probably wouldn't even fit in the engine bay.
        -Han

Comment

why do you think it would make more torque?
          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

This lubrication system of the engine (oil draining to the side of the head) is designed around the position the motor sits in. You could maybe dry sump the motor with a good fool-proof system to remedy that, but i dont see how the motor would make anymore power.. the mass of the internals is subject to gravity no matter how the engine sits, right? I'm not sure about the power question, but i'm not qualified to answer it.
            Alex McHenry

Comment

the angle of the motor has no bearing on its ouput. I am at a loss for a reason why you would think it could.

Comment

It would be fun trying to change the plugs though. Stripped knuckles forever.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

whats the benefit of mounting the engine flat anyway? besides possible wieght shift to a lower center of gravity.

I wouldnt want to rotate an engine that wasnt designed for it.

Comment

I'm assuming the idea stems from all the various flat 4's out there which are particularly known for their torque. If so, there is a huge difference of course which makes comparing them like comparing apples to oranges; 2 sets of opposing cylinders vs. an inline 4 very different.

Ignoring issues like lubrication and the whole packaging dilemma (intake, exhaust etc); I'd think turning the engine on its side has no bearing on power output. The effects of gravity on the oscillating parts would be negligible at even moderate engine speeds (it seems). So I don't see any advantage there.

From a CG point of view, you would benefit there I suppose.

Cheers,
                    Jake Larsen

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
                      I'm assuming the idea stems from all the various flat 4's out there which are particularly known for their torque. If so, there is a huge difference of course which makes comparing them like comparing apples to oranges; 2 sets of opposing cylinders vs. an inline 4 very different.

Ignoring issues like lubrication and the whole packaging dilemma (intake, exhaust etc); I'd think turning the engine on its side has no bearing on power output. The effects of gravity on the oscillating parts would be negligible at even moderate engine speeds (it seems). So I don't see any advantage there.

From a CG point of view, you would benefit there I suppose.

Cheers,
                      Jake Larsen
                      Exactly...there is a difference between a flat 4 and an inline 4 tilted 90 degrees.

flat 4 is a V-4(180 degree V)

Comment

Thanks guys. Just asking ramdom stupid questions!

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                          Thanks guys. Just asking ramdom stupid questions!
                          There are no stupid questions....only stupid people :p

Comment

AFAIK, in one french series they ran the motor straight up, not tilted.
                            There is also a special airbox for it. Gustave posted it on his site not knowing
                            what engine it was for. BMW Motorsport related to me that it was for a
                            straight up S14 motor used in France.
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by John
                              AFAIK, in one french series they ran the motor straight up, not tilted.
                              There is also a special airbox for it. Gustave posted it on his site not knowing
                              what engine it was for. BMW Motorsport related to me that it was for a
                              straight up S14 motor used in France.
                              John
                              Good stuff John....

I was thinking about that also...why its never been run straight up.

Comment

Working...
                              X