• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADA///M
    There are no stupid questions....only stupid people :p
    That is true.

John,

Did you figure why the mounted it that way? Or was it because it was French?

Comment

I would like to point out that the Grp A/DTM guys rolled their engines over a bit. What was it John, something like an additional 15degs?

My theory is that this improved CG and allowed for a slightly more efficient header design. When you look at a Grp A/DTM engine have a look at the upper oil pan. This is where the added lean was accounted for in order to keep the lower oil pan level. Additionally, the bell housing was different too.

This also leads me to believe that you can't exactly bolt up a Grp A/DTM header to a road car. By Grp A/DTM header I mean the 4 into one design. Actually, now that I think about it I'm not too sure about the Grp A cars. I know the DTM cars had engines leaned over more but I'm not sure about the Grp A cars.

Cheers,
      Jake Larsen

Comment

Yeah but can't you improve CG by lowering the engine and the mounts, rather than mounting the engine at another 15 degrees? Or mounting the engine more inwards?

Here is a pic (using John's web-site) of a DTM engine.

Look at those pulleys... YUM!
        Last edited by Bavarian3; 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
          Yeah but can't you improve CG by lowering the engine and the mounts, rather than mounting the engine at another 15 degrees? Or mounting the engine more inwards?
          They may have lowered and pushed it back as well, but I haven't looked at this specifically.

Race rules may not have allowed lower mounting and aft repositioning. But if they never mentioned "no twisting" this could have just been the loophole they chose to exploit.

I'm not entirely certain CG was the only or even main concern. It seems to allow for a better flowing exhaust to some extent.

Jake Larsen

Comment

Working...
          X