Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.25 Vs. 4.10 dif

my euro spec M3 has the 3.25 diff and ive seen that the US spec has 4.10

so my question is have any of you switched out your diffs to the euro specs and what has the over all difference been or has there been any at all?
    SrA USAF

I don't know why you would want to switch out a 4.10 to a 3.25. It would feel like losing half the cars power.

Robert M

Comment

We have different transmissions. Everyone else in the world got the close ratio dog-leg box (265), where we got the overdrive box (260). Sucks for us. Most of us would like to switch to the CR tranny and use a 3.46lsd or so...

You certainly wouldn't want to switch to a 3.25 with our overdrive, it would be a dog. In fact, if a 4.27 was more readily available, I bet we would try to switch up. You'll see some threads where guys were lucky enough to snag a C/R 265, and are using their 4.10s with it!! Or even "just" a 3.73... talk about a kick in the butt. 80 on the highway would be rough by my calculations though.

Comment

YES....80 on the highway is rough...about 5k rpm in 5th

I think a 3.73 would be perfect for me...now i just need to find one.

ANYONE?

Comment

I'm looking for a 3.46 or 3.64... but for someone who wants to trade for my 3.25 or 4.10....

I think 3.73 will still be a little high for my taste...

I'm surprised at how the euro's got a dogleg w/ the 3.25 on those 2.3L motors... The gearing is pretty long!

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
          97 Porsche Carrera S
          13 Audi S6
          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Oh no im not looking to get rid of it at all i lvoe the 3.25 lsd in my car its great i run 5,000 rpm or so at 125mph its great i jsut wanted to see which was better or if anyone out there had changed anything to make there M3 faster or bettter or both
            SrA USAF

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
              YES....80 on the highway is rough...about 5k rpm in 5th

I think a 3.73 would be perfect for me...now i just need to find one.

ANYONE?
              Are you kidding? There must be a slew of 325is owners who would trade for it. When I had mine I certainly would have. I've got a friend in VA who would too. Look around in your area for an enthusiast. I'm sure someone would...

Comment

I'm currently running a 3.25 LSD with the US tranny on my '87 euro. When I first bought the car I thought it was kind of a dog (not really pulling until much after 4k). After getting it properly tuned, I am now liking it. The torque seems to come on around 2800 rpm and it is very driveable in city traffic. I had been thinking about swapping to the 4.10, but, I'm going to wait until after my first track day with the car (early June) and then decide. On the highway I run at about 2750 rpm in 5th @ 70 mph. I should mention that I'm running 15" basketweaves with a 50 series tire.

A while back I test drove a e28 M5 that had the Getrag 280 replaced with the 260 (I think) and a 4.10 diff. First gear was utterly useless.

Damon in STL
                Damon in STL
                '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

Sorry to steal the tread or whatever, BUT if anyone is looking to get rid of their 4.10 I am looking for another one. It must have good lock up still please.

Thanks,

Robert M
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Robert M
                    Sorry to steal the tread or whatever, BUT if anyone is looking to get rid of their 4.10 I am looking for another one. It must have good lock up still please.

Thanks,

Robert M
                    [email protected]
                    I'll probably sell mine if i dont trade it. I'll let you know. It has 130k miles, but works perfectly for me

Comment

Please let me know, I need one. The only reservation I have is if it still has lock up. The clutch packs on these tend to go somewhere between 100k and who knows depending on how it is driven. An easy way to tell is to peel out in first gear. If both wheels aggressively grab then its good. Please privately email me and we can dicuss further.

Thanks veddy much,

Robert M
                      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X