Speedometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometers

Hi i just got my own e30 m3 and the speedo is off and when ever I'm not on the gas the peg drops do you guys have any ideas how I could fix it?
    1988 M3
    Limited Production
    Canadian Edition
    No. 27 of 45
    sparco braces, eibach springs, bilstein shocks, BMP chip,
    little by little...
    ------------------------
    1971 VW Beatle, 1997 VW GTI

Perhaps the SI batteries....

http://www.e30m3performance.com/main...d/SI_Board.htm

Comment

Can anyone comment on a build up of static in the line that could cause an erratic speedo? I can't remember who told me this, and I don't know if it is valid, but I was wondering...

Cheers.
      1988 M3
      2012 335is
      1993 Civic Si

Comment

You've got a loose connection in the speed sensor plug. This is located in the differential. The diff moves when you accelerate and decelerate and this movement causes a loose connection sometimes.

audibm

Comment

I'm with AudiBM on this one.
          Broken wire in the harness either close to the speedo pick-up on the differential, or behind the dash, or a failing sensor in the diff.
          m.

Comment

thank you guys a whole lot for your help I was also forgot to mention that my odometer isn't working any ideas?
            1988 M3
            Limited Production
            Canadian Edition
            No. 27 of 45
            sparco braces, eibach springs, bilstein shocks, BMP chip,
            little by little...
            ------------------------
            1971 VW Beatle, 1997 VW GTI

Comment

If you fix the speedometer, and the odometer still doesnt work: you have stripped gears inside the cluster. You can either source a new cluster (used), or have your's repaired.

HTH,
              Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Yep.
                You don't want to be resetting the odometer while the car is rolling.
                m.

Comment

my speedo drops intermittently while im driving. anyone know what the sensor looks like? (not trying to thread jack)
                  1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Does your OBC lights dim down when the Speedo stops working? Also try tapping on the cluster. I have gone through 2 Speedos in 3 BMWs and both were the same thing. I think the needle is too heavy for the little motor over time because mine would always struggle until I got them past half way then it would work fine. In my neighbors car I took the Speedo apart and cleaned the little motor with an electric motor cleaner from a hobby store and it hasn't had a problem since so you could always try that.

Mmark is right about not clearing the trip meter while driving especially with weak plastic gears in a 15 year old car. If you pull the Speedo off make sure you don't have any broken teeth for the odometer.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                    I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmjr
                      my speedo drops intermittently while im driving. anyone know what the sensor looks like? (not trying to thread jack)
                      The sensor is located on the Diff, #8 in this diagram.

Comment

Working...
                      X