Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone use these exhaust clamps?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=WLK%2D33278

i want to have the ability to swap form test pipe to cat for the streets, but i dont want to spend the 160 bucks for the Burns clamps. its almost worth wasting the 20 bucks to see if these work.
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

I have used them. They work OK, but are designed to be used on joints that "butt" together rather than overlap or slip fit. This makes them pretty tricky to assemble, you run out of hands really quickly.

They make similar style clamps for slip joints. The only problem with them is that after being together for a while, slip joints are sometimes kind of hard to get apart.

If you can come up with the money for a "V-Band" clamp, like the Burns ones, they are a really fantastic design. Go together and come apart easily. You can get them from places other than Burns, but I am not sure they will be a whole lot cheaper. I got mine from SPD.

The V-Band clamps also require fairly precise welding by whomever attaches the flanges to your system. They have zero tolerance for misalignment. Quality fabrication is required.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
      I have used them. They work OK, but are designed to be used on joints that "butt" together rather than overlap or slip fit. This makes them pretty tricky to assemble, you run out of hands really quickly.

They make similar style clamps for slip joints. The only problem with them is that after being together for a while, slip joints are sometimes kind of hard to get apart.

If you can come up with the money for a "V-Band" clamp, like the Burns ones, they are a really fantastic design. Go together and come apart easily. You can get them from places other than Burns, but I am not sure they will be a whole lot cheaper. I got mine from SPD.

The V-Band clamps also require fairly precise welding by whomever attaches the flanges to your system. They have zero tolerance for misalignment. Quality fabrication is required.

HTH
      by OK, do you mean the seal is okay? last thing i want is a leak.
      "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan

Comment

I got that style to work just fine. Had a tiny leak...I wrapped the area with thermotec tape and tried again - tight as a drum.

Stan

Comment

They leak a little bit, at least they do if you use the butt joint kind. This is because the sealing is dependent on the band going around the pipes, and there remains a small gap the band doesn't cover.

The slip joint style would be less likely to leak.

Comment

bmw uses a similar design on their replacement exhaust parts. most pieces are welded from the factory, so when replacing mufflers, or cats, they use these clamps to reconnect. there is a 50mm, and a 55mm. p/n 18 10 1 439 722 50mm..... p/n 18 20 1 742 073 55mm. check those out, maybe they are cheaper than the ones at summit.

Comment

bmw uses a similar design on their replacement exhaust parts. most pieces are welded from the factory, so when replacing mufflers, or cats, they use these clamps to reconnect. there is a 50mm, and a 55mm. p/n 18 10 1 439 722 50mm..... p/n 18 20 1 742 073 55mm. check those out, maybe they are cheaper than the ones at summit.
              They aren't.... they are actually quite expensive. For the price of the BMW ones I am pretty sure you could buy the Burns "V-Band" clamps which IMHO are the best solution.

Comment

the parts i listed above are from e46, and e38/39. my price is $12, average retail $18. dealer markups vary.

Comment

the parts i listed above are from e46, and e38/39. my price is $12, average retail $18. dealer markups vary.
                  Really? My bad....the ones I remembered were like $100. Maybe I am thinking of different parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
                    Really? My bad....the ones I remembered were like $100. Maybe I am thinking of different parts.
                    your thinking of the m5 ones, and yes, they are $$$. anyway, i need a 3inch fitting, i doubt bmw carries any 3inch fittings. I ordered it all todday, my exhaust will be built next weekend, ill let everyone know. i might end up dishing out the cash for the Burns ones if these dont work out.

Comment

18 10 1 406 666 63.5 mm dont know the price. try that one.

Comment

The ones I got from the dealer were around 100 for the two!
                        Steve
                        Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Working...
                        X