The End of the M3 coupes lineage has arrived...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlpineMatt
    • 29, 10, 2011

The End of the M3 coupes lineage has arrived...

As a BMW M3 owner I was disspointed with Todays news that BMW has decided to pursue the 4 series name for all future 2 door models. How do you think this will effect the value of our cars and the heritage of the M3 name? Do you think this is a smart or stupid move? Or was this smart seeing as this new model will be force induction and so different from its heritage in the first place?

With the launch of the BMW 4 Series coupe, we can officially say goodbye to the two-door 3 Series. As we've long reported, BMW is moving its coupe and convertible models up one digit (like the 5 Series/6 Series relationship); when the next-generatio
  • Ironhead
    Super Moderator
    • 18, 1, 2003

Well, personally it is hard for me to imagine something more trivial, frankly. The number really never meant much anyway. Who cars if they call it an M3, M4 or M87.3 for that matter?

Keep in mind though this opinion is coming from one who has zero interest in new BMWs.

Comment

• Reelizmpro
      ::moderator::
      • 20, 12, 2002

Since they keep making it bigger, wider, longer and heavier...it only makes sense they go from 3 to 4 series.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

• ///schwartzman
        Gub-na
        • 24, 6, 2005

I figure it will increase resale of 3-series cars if nothing else... But if BMW isn't careful they will give opportunity to other brands to encroach on their target market ala Cadillac...

It's good to see they're updating technology like turbos, electric hybrids etc. albeit lagging a few years.

I'm not a fan of the new stuff either 2007-now but maybe if they do something revolutionary like reopen their file on the Hydrogen cell vehicle, or a totally new hybrid CVT, hydrogen, lithium, solar, and an efficient direct injection turbo 1.6L... Until then I'll stick with VWAG.
        Rich!

Comment

• ///Mavrikno13764
          Registered
          • 26, 6, 2007

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
          Since they keep making it bigger, wider, longer and heavier...it only makes sense they go from 3 to 4 series.
          With that logic, shouldn't the four door version be the 4 series? and keep the coupes as the 3? of course assuming that the coupes are "Smaller" relatively.
          But I guess they did the same way with the 5 and 6 series? Always thought that the 6 series was just a way to have a 2 door 5.
          Then the 4 door 6 came out...

Personally I dont like it. I always saw BMW as being the "standard" for most car companies. Mainly the 3, 5 and 7 series, car manufacturers did what they could to compete with those models (Merc: C, E, S class Audi: A4, A6, A8). By diluting it with in between models, I no longer have a set series to look to.

But I am with Ironhead, I dont care for new BMW's to much.

Comment

• AlpineMatt
            • 29, 10, 2011

It just seems like they are going in two different directions. On one hand they are releasing the 6 series grand coupe and on the other they are killing the M3 name because they want even odd nomenclature.

Comment

• kmarei
              1988 M3 Evo II
              • 26, 7, 2007

They are following in audi's footsteps
              they saw how successful the A5 was , and how much more Audi can charge for it
              so decided to do the same thing

Comment

• ///schwartzman
                Gub-na
                • 24, 6, 2005

Originally posted by kmarei View Post
                They are following in audi's footsteps
                they saw how successful the A5 was , and how much more Audi can charge for it
                so decided to do the same thing

Proves my point, BMW used to be the standard for performance and style from the days of 90210 until... Well, Chris Bangle bungled it with the 745i and few others... The last nice cars IMO were the '02 M-Coupe & e39 M5, and of course the e46 CSL... Just run of the mill since, like they lost their purpose. Audi may be diluting their market (A5, A7) as well but VW has so many lines of cars they can mesh the customer by up or downgrading so to speak... From the Panamera Turbo to an S8, want less go CC-R or go big Continental GT Speed... Anyhoo BMW has work to do.
                Rich!

Comment

• fat_louis
                  Registered
                  • 29, 12, 2009

You have to understand that this is a ploy to charge crazy amounts over the sedan price for a coupe. Coupes are supposed to be marketed towards those more interested in style than practicality. For example, the 6 series is essentially a two door 5 series, but they charge $20K more for it just like the 6 series grand turismo (note to self, next time you get in the back of one of those watch your head). Its just that these coupes and four door coupes are great ways to jack up profits. Personally, if they call the next M3 coupe the M4, I am probably going to pass and just get a P-car (and keep the E30 M3 of course).

Comment

• Bruce
                    end user of fossil fuels
                    • 29, 4, 2003

I think the move is stupid. There was rumors about the same thing when the E9x came out but they came to their senses. They have cultivated the M3 brand for 25 years and they are throwing that away for a few more bucks? Sad. The MBAs running the company are idiots. I'm embarrassed to say that I have an MBA that means nothing.

Comment

• AlpineMatt
                      • 29, 10, 2011

Originally posted by fat_louis View Post
                      . Personally, if they call the next M3 coupe the M4, I am probably going to pass and just get a P-car (and keep the E30 M3 of course).

Thats just the thing. This is the OFFICIAL unveiling of the 4 Series. Its not an "if" anymore. The next M series coupe based on that 3 series platform will be an M4. DTM will race the M4 as will most other touring cars based on the two door model. Ten years from now people will ask you if your car is an 88 M4? It makes perfect business sense to me, however sometimes a companies purpose should be to preserve there heritage. This is just a way for them to pad their bottom line. Like you said, I think we will begin to see the spread in price increase as the 4 series is differentiated from the 3. We may see MSRP's of M4's well into six figures before long.

Comment

• Todd black 88
                        Registered
                        • 18, 9, 2007

I think it's the dumbest move they have done. Isn't the number 4 a bad number in the Asian culture? Means death or something?

It will kill sales of it up here, as probably 75% of new BMW sales in Vancouver are Chinese. Hell, all new buildings here don't even have a 4th floor or 14th floor because of our large Chinese population, and offshore real estate investors.

Dumb, just dumb

Comment

• spdracrm3
                          Registered
                          • 11, 1, 2004

no great loss as we all know its all been downhill since the E30M3 anyway
                          Angus Proud
                          88 E30 M3 X2
                          89 E30 325IX
                          92 R100GS/PD
                          :ha:

Comment

• peteb
                            Registered
                            • 20, 12, 2002

from what i was told at training, they're moving it up-market, nicer materials, more hp, expect a 440 with the same engine thats in the 640 and 740, a 4 cyl with over 260 hp... but dont worry, we're getting some real fun stuff too......

Comment

• njboy
                              Registered
                              • 14, 4, 2007

Originally posted by peteb View Post
                              from what i was told at training, they're moving it up-market, nicer materials, more hp, expect a 440 with the same engine thats in the 640 and 740, a 4 cyl with over 260 hp... but dont worry, we're getting some real fun stuff too......
                              Can you elaborate. :-)
                              There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Working...
                              X