EVOII VS EVOIII Which is better? Front Lip Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVOII VS EVOIII Which is better? Front Lip Talk

So the EVOII was produced for downforce and better cooling to the oil-cooler but the EVOIII came w/o the EVOII lip; and just the splitters. BMW Motorsport doesn't run EVOII lips, only EVOIII splitters with extensions to make the EVOIII splitter lower to the ground to make more downforce.

So why did BMW make two different lip/splitters? Which is better?

first of, i believe one is a spliter (evo3) one is a spoiler (evo2) i think the evo3 at full extension makes more downforce then the evo2, and helps equal out the evo3 rear end. although too much downforce slows you down a bit on straights, by the time they started using the evo 3 parts, they were making well over 300 hp, slowing down wasnt a problem. as far as exact downforce, i dont remeber, i think one makes about 70lbs at 100mpg and one makes 100 lbs at 100mpg. (dont take my word for it)
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Mrsha

I think the California Gas prices have you dreaming

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
      97 Porsche Carrera S
      13 Audi S6
      SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
      GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

HAHAHA, i just noticed that, i ment MPH not MPG. HAHAHA. sorry, dad just bought a gas station, i have gas on the mind.
        "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
        "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
        onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Think of it this way; E3 is an evolution of the E2 design. It (E3) gave more downforce when adjusted all the way out but could be dialed back for tracks that didn't need it. E3 is certainly better overall. It's not like one was made for one thing and the other for something else. They came up with E2 and then improved on it with the E3 design.

Hope that makes sense.
          Jake Larsen

Comment

Can a non-carbon splitter be purchased..$?/ where?
            SteveZ

Comment

Can the evo III splitter be fitted to non evo M3's? Like the one from E30shop.de

Comment

Originally posted by catfishez
                I'm a little short on time today so this is just off the top of my head. If I had more time I'd do some searching for you.

CDOC something?
                Nigel Moseley = www.moseleymotorsport.com
                M Shaw something?
                Dealer

Nigel Moseley's fiberglass copy is probably the cheapest, lightest, and ugliest. It's intended for track only M3's and some say that it'll need a little work to look right on a street car. I've been around them a bunch of times but never really stopped to look at it in detail.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help. I'm stupid busy today.

Originally posted by OZM3
                Can the evo III splitter be fitted to non evo M3's? Like the one from E30shop.de
                I think some have come up with variations that you can bolt to your existing bumper cover. But the E3 bumper cover is different and is made to work with the adjustable splitter. The standard bumper cover would need to be modified to rig up something similar to the E3 design. It's certainly no bolt up procedure.

HTH,
                Jake Larsen

Comment

Just by virtue of its design I would say that the E3 splitter has more downforce potential than the E2 chin spoiler. See:
                  http://e30m3performance.com/myths/splitter/splitter.htm

Some folks mount an E3 splitter underneath an E2 spoiler, in order to get the splitter farther forward. This would not have been legal under original Touring Car regulations, as nothing was allowed to stick out past the bumper when viewed from above. This method does provide a lot of flat area under the nose, which can make a good venturi section if it is close enough to the ground (it rarely is in the cases I have seen). Also makes for a pitch sensitive setup.

Using the E3 splitter with the intended E3 undernose venturi is probably the best bet overall. You will still get some venturi effect that way without having to scrape the splitter on the ground.

Gustave

Comment

Originally posted by catfishez
                    ryan G (M3Ryan) makes ABS plastic ones i have heard are good. i think he wanted like $100.00 or something, dont quote me though.
                    1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmjr
                      ryan G (M3Ryan) makes ABS plastic ones i have heard are good. i think he wanted like $100.00 or something, dont quote me though.
                      Yeah i mistakenly bought one of those.

I have an e3 splitter waiting to go on as I get an e2 splitter to go on first

Comment

I was under the impression that the E3 gave LESS downforce, but combats negative lift. This give less of a penally in terms of drag.

the E2 is also static, and can not be adjusted, as the E3 has adjustments for front end needs.

What we really need is a wind tunnel and some scales!

If you look at the E2 front, you can see that it's goal is to disrupt the airflow up towards the grill, this will give added downforce on the front wheels, and create a boundary layer causing less air flow under the car.

The E3 is "just" a splitter, it doesn't force the air upward, but it cuts threw it, creating a low pressure zone and cutting on negative lift. There is also a ventury under the splitter that helps keep airflow from under the car, this also cuts on negative lift.

lets not forget, these pieces were made for RACING only, and needed to be fitted to the cars in order to use them at the track, if they did not work, they would not be there! Since the E3 came after, I would bet it does a better job. After all they did win SOME races this way.

Do not click
                        At least it's German

Comment

Working...
                        X