M3 restoration project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 restoration project.

After many years, I am finally getting my m3 back in order. I have the first part of my build thread started here:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=275085

I realized that the s14 community would probably enjoy watching this as info along as well so I will be posting updates here too.

More progress this morning:

Got the other seat out and vacuumed around the area to make it a it cleaner to work around:

After some work I got the old carpet set out - this stuff was bad. It has had moisture trapped in it for some time.

You don't realize how bad ths stuff is until you finally get it out in terms of being stained or dirty.

Interior basically out:

Footwell needs to be cleaned up:

Hopefully this afternoon I will get the floor boards all cleaned up and prepped to put the new carpet in. Have some dash parts on order from Blunt to get the odds and ends finished and then I can put it all back together.
    1990 e30 m3

Looks like you've got a nice solid shell!
    James

Comment

New carpet?? Where'd you find that I smell a project, what are you planning?
      Rich!

Comment

What dreams are made of...... to lift a carpet in an M3 and find a floor like that. No need to get out the angle grinder and welding gear. I guess you live somewhere reasonably dry.
        Peter

sigpic

Comment

"New" OEM E30 M3 carpets of late are actually black instead of the original anthracite/grayish color. It's a pretty big disappointment, but the price you pay when you want something new and in perfect condition.
          Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
          1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
          2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
          http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            "New" OEM E30 M3 carpets of late are actually black instead of the original anthracite/grayish color. It's a pretty big disappointment, but the price you pay when you want something new and in perfect condition.
            That seems odd, I wonder why when black was never even an e30 carpet color. Black as dark as oem black mats or just darker gray than original?

Comment

More progress.

Cleaned up the footwell on the drivers side:

No rust at all which is huge - very excited to see that.

While it was sunny I sprayed the kick panels and the center console:

Before:

After:

Took a break - I really want to test fit these on the m3 for fun - 20in ch-r's. don't think it would fit:

And I couldn't help myself - took two quick pics of the m5:

Ok back to the e30:

I have always loved this kind of picture - e30 m3's look awesome when they are getting worked on - almost like they were made for it.

I then test fit the carpet:

It fits just ok out of the box - a lot of trimming to do. I stopped working on that aspect if things not long after to pic as I am still waiting on more parts for the interior and this thing is not going back together until I they all arrive.

I did put the rear parcel shelf back together - was getting dark and pics are a bit fuzzy but it turned out great:

Finally - a grainy pic of how she was left:

To prove my e30 loyalty - the big guy gets to sleep outside until this portion of the project is done:

More to come soon... Hope to have the interior all set by this time next month - then it's on to the motor/mechanical refreshing. Still want to have it done by the picnic and making good progress so far.
              1990 e30 m3

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                Works for me - I wanted full black.
                1990 e30 m3

Comment

The funny thing is that I purchased a brand new set of OEM floor mats and wouldn't you know, those effing things are the "proper" old school charcoal/anthricite color #melonscratcher. P/N 82111466903

Originally posted by fronton View Post
                  That seems odd, I wonder why when black was never even an e30 carpet color. Black as dark as oem black mats or just darker gray than original?
                  Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
                  1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
                  2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
                  http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Originally posted by grt
                    S14 poweerrrrrrr!!
                    Absolutely - it's not a turbo s50 but it makes my smile pretty wide.

Progress today.

I finished the carpet instal. Here are my observations from using thus carpet supplier:
                    - the material is LWT - massive weight reduction.
                    - it doesn't take spray adhesive very well - it didn't help much
                    - fitment requires a LOT of trimming.
                    - it looks/feels/ fits more like a carpet from a 2002
                    - I like the look of it
                    - love the color
                    - probably would not buy it again and or do it differently next time and may still get an OEM carpet.
                    - you get what you pay for, and for the money, it's as expected.
                    - it looks a LOT better once the car starts getting reassembled.

So e pics have not made it to my photo stream yet so I can't upload them but here is the progress:

Rear deck and seats back in the car:

Some of the parts that are going in laid out:

Trim going back in:

In with new pedal covers:

The old pedal covers had maybe 2k miles on them and cleaned up would fine cleaned up but while I'm here I replaced them. The old ones are for sale and will be cleaned up shortly. 10 bucks plus shipping.

Got the accelerator pedal fitted properly:

Had to take a break but more to come this afternoon.

Per request - my friend Jacob K. Williams gets a shout out for the assist today.

And a sneak preview of something I am working on for the exterior:

1990 e30 m3

Comment

Rear parcel shelf looks nice....I know what a royal pain that is to get it back in correctly! Red on Black color combo is SWEET!

John

Comment

Started putting more of the car back together today - not a huge amount of progress but its starting to look good and complete - looking forward to getting this buttoned up so I can get to work getting the exterior completed.

Seat in:

Little details done - new headlight switch (before and after shots) and I took out the tweaters. I'm not a hude audiophile so I put the blanks in - the sound system I need is under the hood. That said I may put them back in at another point but for now it's blanks:

Getting it buttoned up in the drivers side:

Passenger side:

Just need a few more parts to get it done ....
                        1990 e30 m3

Comment

Major progress today:

Got the harness back in for everything:

Replaced all the bulbs and verified that it works in the process. Glad to have it fixed.

Got the dash and everything back together:

Tried to fit both of these 7 series tool kits to the car - they don't fit the m3 trunk - didn't know - both are now f/s:

Got this e brake handle new from the dealer - off of an f30 body. Needs some more work to get it to fit but I like the style. Matches the m red well:

Compared to an e36 handle:

After some work - got it all in and test fitted. Final bolt down to happen shortly.

Also removed the a/c button since the a/c is gone:

Extra parts hanging out - many to be for sale soon. Most are NLA:

Also fitted the tool kit:

My biggest ? On the car right now is what to do with these mirrors:

Ill post more later about what my idea is for the alternative because I just can't decide. ,ore to come soon.
                          1990 e30 m3

Comment

Got the dead pedal in:

This thing is definitely too big from the factory:

Fit is off:

Fitting better after some cuts:

After some cutting of the excess on the pedal and the speaker cover - voila - we have an e46 dead pedal in an e30 m3:

It fits great and is sturdy! Pic of the dash with the delete panels in:

Love this angle of the engine:

Got some new wheel centers - need to have caps machines to accept them:

And then it's on to the f30 handle:

This will become a one piece boot/handle shortly. Time to learn to sew. Either way I am comfortable says it will come out ok.

Cheers.
                            1990 e30 m3

Comment

Been a fan of this car for a long time, glad to see you back at it!
                              @slowprogress

Comment

Working...
                              X