New head for my m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head for my m3

If a head or cam box on a car has a blemish or crack would you guys repair it or get a new one ?
    Last edited by wbavM3; 09-29-2014, 04:40 PM.
    2011 z4 sdrive 35i with Dinan stage 2 upgrade ... Weekend driver. 1998 BMW 540i sport with Dinan upgrades ... Daily driver, 1988 m3 low miles with Dinan ... Grage queen, 1972 2002tii low miles garage queen.

I vote new one. Or new to you used one sans crack in it.
    1990 e30 m3

Comment

Where is the crack located and more importantly how did it happen?
      sigpic

1988 Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

a picture of the crack will most likely help give more accurate answers.

Comment

Take your head to Memphis Motorworks, they know these engines, and are reliable

A cracked head can be repaired..... By a skilled person that understands welding aluminum.

Mario L.

Comment

I believe the blemish or crack is under the lower cam shaft 3rd cylinder back on the wall just under where the valve cover meets the head. It's right where the head wall starts curving. Never the less I intend on fixing this car right no matter what it takes or how long it takes. The blemish/ crack isn't very big but I know it needs to be fixed or replaced. I was just wanting a vote on what most people would do in my case. I don't have a picture yet but I will this weekend. The m3 is not at my house as I don't have any more Grage space for more cars.
            Last edited by wbavM3; 09-29-2014, 04:46 PM.
            2011 z4 sdrive 35i with Dinan stage 2 upgrade ... Weekend driver. 1998 BMW 540i sport with Dinan upgrades ... Daily driver, 1988 m3 low miles with Dinan ... Grage queen, 1972 2002tii low miles garage queen.

Comment

Also one of the 2 cam arms has a slight bit of wear where the blemish or maybe small hole i don't know was on each side of the "tooth" would you guys replace the cam arm or could Memphis Motorwerks fix that too.
              Last edited by wbavM3; 09-29-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Possible hole, and cam area damage?! You are venturing into expensive repairs it would probably need to be welded and line bored for the cam repair, guides, seals and judging from the misuse or disrepair seats and valves... You really need a new or in good condition head.
                Rich!

Comment

Are new heads available for purchase from the dealer still? if yes, how much do they cost?
                  --------------------------------------
                  The God's chariot... (OO==[][]==OO)
                  sigpic

Comment

With my shop discount it's still $2000.00 usd.

Comment

Found out it was a stud that was incorrectly put back on the top of the cam box too tight.

Comment

getbmwparts.com has new head for $1700ish. just checked the other day.

Comment

Hi Mario,

How are you? Do you have a reference for an excellent shop in the PA area who can weld a slight chip in the deck of a '91 MB 500 SL's V-8 block (aluminum)? This car (my Sister's) only has 3,400 miles on it and I'm currently trying to sell it. But, the engine deck issue is preventing getting top dollar for it (or even a decent price). I'd like to look into having the block repaired. It would have been covered by the MB warranty but the problem only recently surfaced while Sis was driving to the mechanic for annual maintenance. So, it sits! If you know anybody, please pm me or e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Hope all is well,

John
                          (PS...sorry for the thread hijack!...anyone else who can assist, please pm me)

Originally posted by Mario L. View Post
                          Take your head to Memphis Motorworks, they know these engines, and are reliable

A cracked head can be repaired..... By a skilled person that understands welding aluminum.

Mario L.
                          Last edited by 02fanatic; 10-01-2014, 02:57 AM.

Comment

I believe that there is one new head available nationally and 22 avalilable worldwide. The dealer cost is $1017 and they retail for $1724.

NOTE: Please see post #17 for revised information.

Cheers,

Jim
                            Last edited by IronmanE30; 10-02-2014, 02:56 AM.
                            Livin the Dream

Comment

Gentlemen,

I believe the OP resolved the issue and no longer needs a new head.

"Found out it was a stud that was incorrectly put back on the top of the cam box too tight. "

1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                              1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                              1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Working...
                              X