Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a upgraded oil pressure switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m3pat2 View Post
    Yea I need to move my mount to the chassis instead and I like the 90 degree fitting to clear the bracket on the engine.
    (I'm cracking up at your reason for editing your last previous post - I've never put a reason in, maybe I need to start). Thanks nice guy.
    You're welcome.

Comment

Thread revival. I am wanting to install an oil pressure gauge, probably a 2 gauge pod mount to the steering column upper shroud, like this one:
      https://rallyroad.net/products/e30st...untedgaugepods
      It will house 2 gauges that I want, a wideband and an oil pressure gauge.

The research I have done, on this very forum, suggests it is wise to mount the sender to the body and not directly to the oil filter housing as the sender will not last with the vibrations from the S14. I guess that's the price we pay for no balance shafts on a big 4 cylinder engine.

Also the factory oil pressure light will only come on at very low oil pressure (7psi), which is kinda scary considering the potential cost of an oil pressure problem on one of these motors.

So a sender for the oil light that grounds at a higher pressure, some are using 30psi and others 15psi. And a sender for the gauge. Or maybe a dual pole sender, that does both functions. Also autometer s/s hose for the remote fitting, an adapter for the oil filter housing to the hose (M12 - NPT), and a T piece for the sender units.

Where do I source the t piece? Where is the best location for the remote sender(s)?

Comment

I bought it all from Summit Racing.
        They had a pre-fabricated short -3 braided hose (get swivels on both ends).
        I converted the M12 at the filter head to -3 JIC (aka AN), connected the 3' -3 braided hose and routed that out to the fender and installed a T on the end. I believe my T fitting was -3 JICF to (2) NPT for the senders.

Into that T I put my low pressure warning light sender (30 PSI autometer sender) and the VDO pressure gauge sender.
        Been working like that for a long time. I changed the hose over the years. My first hose I had made by a hose shop and it didnt have swivels on each end which was a huge PITA every time I needed to pull the engine or take it off, so V2 had a hose with swivels on each end. Luxury.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
          I bought it all from Summit Racing.
          They had a pre-fabricated short -3 braided hose (get swivels on both ends).
          I converted the M12 at the filter head to -3 JIC (aka AN), connected the 3' -3 braided hose and routed that out to the fender and installed a T on the end. I believe my T fitting was -3 JICF to (2) NPT for the senders.

Into that T I put my low pressure warning light sender (30 PSI autometer sender) and the VDO pressure gauge sender.
          Been working like that for a long time. I changed the hose over the years. My first hose I had made by a hose shop and it didnt have swivels on each end which was a huge PITA every time I needed to pull the engine or take it off, so V2 had a hose with swivels on each end. Luxury.
          Thanks Jimmy, I will start browsing summit's website and build up a shopping cart. Where on the fender did you mount yours? Mine is a road car so its busy on the fender but I think I might remove cruise control, I never even use it on my daily and it takes up valuable space.

Comment

Here's my not so pretty solution using a rubber remote shock reservoir mounting block. I think I got it at Pepboys a long time ago. But I'm sure lots of performance websites like summit and pegasus will have this.
            Pat

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post

Thanks Jimmy, I will start browsing summit's website and build up a shopping cart. Where on the fender did you mount yours? Mine is a road car so its busy on the fender but I think I might remove cruise control, I never even use it on my daily and it takes up valuable space.
              Mine is a race car and the cruise control mounting points to the chassis is what I used to mount the senders.

I'll see if I can find my summit receipt that would have everything I used on it and see if I have any pictures of it that side of the engine compartment that would be useful.

EDIT:
              I found some of the part numbers I used:
              GDR-11336 - Goodridge 11336 - Goodridge Ebony Hoses with Black Swivels
              ZEX-NS6570 Zex Nitrous Oxide Systems NS6570 - AN to NPT Adapter Fittings

Last edited by jimmy p.; 02-09-2020, 08:20 AM.
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Thanks guys. Great info, this forum is awesome.

Comment

Here's what I did when I installed my Autometer oil pressure gauge. I ran a AN line (-3 I think) from the filter head up to the drivers fender and installed a T fitting. I mounted the T fitting to the bracket that once held the airbag sensor. In the T, I installed a 30 PSI pressure switch for the dash light along with the sending unit for the gauge. I've been running this way for over 13 years now. The 30 PSI switch has never triggered the dash oil light at idle. I'd take a picture, but I won't have access to the car for a few weeks. I always get questions about it when people look under the hood.

Comment

Do you still use the AFM? If not I made a medium sized bracket out of aluminum sheet that I mounted to the AFM mounting points. Two bolts rubber isolated at the top and then a 1" rubber cylinder slotted lengthwise to fit into the 'cradle'.

Was able to fit FPR, flex fuel sensor, oil pressure, and fuel pressure on it. Mounted the sensors to the bracket using adel clamps. Also used an adel clamp and the coil mount for a coolant pressure sensor. That being said my car doesn't run so who knows how well this actually works...
                    1988 M3
                    2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Working...
                    X