Clutch and Brake Pedal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch and Brake Pedal question

Is the clutch pedal normally higher than the brake pedal released position?

My clutch pedal is higher even I tried to adjust the eccentric bolt to make it at its lowest position, is this normal?

audibm

Mine does ever so slightly, maybe a 1/4 inch if that. I think it's the norm... I haven't done anything that might change it!

Comment

Re: Clutch and Brake Pedal question

Originally posted by audibm
      Is the clutch pedal normally higher than the brake pedal released position?

audibm
      Yes - and it is one of my big pet peeves on all modern BMWs.

On both my E30 M3 and the E46 M3 I remanufactured the clutch pedal arm to bring the pedal pad closer to the floorboard.

This reduces travel (like a clutch stop). But more importantly, it brings the clutch pedal take-up point closer to the floor, which makes the clutch so much easier (and faster) to use. You really have to try it to understand the improvement. It is much harder than it needs to be to modulate the clutch with your foot hanging in mid-air. With the modified clutch pedal you can leave your heel on the floor while activating the clutch. Much easier to do.

Lastly, for the left-foot-brakers in the bunch, the lower clutch pedal makes it much easier to reach across to the brake pedal with the left foot.

http://e30m3performance.com/installs...y_approach.htm

Gustave

Comment

Re: Re: Clutch and Brake Pedal question

Originally posted by Gustave

On both my E30 M3 and the E46 M3 I remanufactured the clutch pedal arm to bring the pedal pad closer to the floorboard.

Gustave
        That should read E46 Wagon. The E46 M3, being SMG, has a different modification.

Gustave

Comment

gustave
          when i go to you link above it does not take me to information about your clutch pedal mod
          can you point me it the right direction please
          thanks

Comment

you replied to a +6 year old post. Gustave has sold it's M3 E30 and AFAIK concentrates on other things in live than performance parts

Comment

thanks
              didnt know how long links stayed active
              anyone else done this modification?
              or used a clutch stop?

Comment

gustave's site is now mirrored here:
                http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3performance/

The ergo link above is now here:
                http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per...y_approach.htm

-chris
                1988 M3
                2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

thanks
                  that is helpful, i have been to that site many times but hadnt seen that mod or realized that was the same person. he was a real E30 M3 fan at the time

have others here done this mod or use a clutch stop instead? i think it is an area that needs addressed in my race car but cant quite get the feel for which way to go

looks like on the floor of the car there is a factory "nut" attached to the floor behind the clutch pedal that could be for a clutch stop

Comment

I used a clutch stop for several years on my M3. I liked it for the most part. However, I recently decided to pull it just to change up the feeling.

Comment

K otiK m

may i ask did the clutch stop bolt fit in a nut that is welded to the floor behind the clutch pedal?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X