Air Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Ride

I know that this isn't the GC suspension that everyone here goes crazy for, but anyone else thinking about running air ride???? Air Lift has some nice stuff out right now.

I have never, ever considered it for our cars. What about the system appeals to you?

Comment

:nice!:
      --------------------------------------
      The God's chariot... (OO==[][]==OO)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freude Am Fahren View Post
        :nice!:
        LOL. I'm waiting for the E30 Gods to come here and bash the idea of air ride. But the ability to control ride height with the press of a button is extremely convenient. By the looks of the kit it is very well made and they even have track cars using their bags.

Comment

I have thought about it for my convertible, but it never even crossed my mind for the M.

Comment

The added weight-to-power would be the real drawback for me… I figure if the SLS system worked for Mercedes 190E-16V there should be no reason a modern air bag system can't work well...
            Rich!

Comment

My son is planning on bagging his touring this year, but I wouldn't do it to an m3

Don
              1973 - 2002
              1988 - iX
              1988 - M3

Comment

It's funny. For a moment I thought I clicked on s14.net - - - I guess I am on lowrider.com ;-)

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                1989 M3 racecar
                e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                  It's funny. For a moment I thought I clicked on s14.net - - - I guess I am on lowrider.com ;-)
                  At first I thought you sold brakes for fast cars, and then realized you were putting big brakes on slow 4 cyl.....

Comment

Gentlemen, let's be respectful of each other. No, can't say that I have considered air ride suspension. I have seen many showcars run it for show but never for performance. A few guys run it on R3v but for looks only.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I have friends that run air setups, but I've never considered it for the M. Partially because of the ideas of it being for "non performance cars" (as shown above lol). There are a few cars that the air ride companies are showing as track cars, so they must be at least reasonable for the track. The ability to raise the car at your whim is really nice.

Comment

Who knows, maybe it's the future of suspension technology.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                        85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Just because it CAN be tracked does not mean its any good. I could take a minivan with blown dampers to the track, but it does not mean I will have good performance!

Id be curious if someone could find an air ride equipped vehicle actually running faster laps than a similar car with a traditional performance suspension. Im not going to hold my breath while you look though
                          -Nick

1991 E30 with the "other" 16v 4cyl

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                            Just because it CAN be tracked does not mean its any good. I could take a minivan with blown dampers to the track, but it does not mean I will have good performance!

Id be curious if someone could find an air ride equipped vehicle actually running faster laps than a similar car with a traditional performance suspension. Im not going to hold my breath while you look though
                            How many of us are really tracking our cars all the time? IF I mean IF they are 1-2 seconds slower around the track, is that a reason to blow them off and call them complete crap? I've been a few Audi's and VW with this setup and they ride and handle better than a coilover car with the ability to raise it in driveways etc. People are already totally against what has been done to my car and this may have to be another thing for them to add to the list. May just go out and give it a try.

Comment

Is the main reason you want it is so you can raise and lower your car at will? I figure most of us have never considered it for our cars because of the racing pedigree they come with, and "if it (stock, springs, and/or coilovers) ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X