Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car (out of storage) won't start, no spark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car (out of storage) won't start, no spark.

Okay guys, It's been a long time since I've needed any technical help with the car (that's because the car's been in storage for a while now) and I'm stuck.

So I did all the "pulling the car out of storage" tune up stuff that is normally done (battery, oil, coolant, fuel drain, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, oiled the pistons, Lucas fluids, mystery oil, etc, etc). and the car won't start.

It turns over and I can smell fuel but it won't turn on.

I opened up the cap and rotor and it was worn and corroded so I ordered a new set and swapped it in and nothing. I also tested the wires and the ignition coil and I got nothing. I can't get any spark off the plugs and I tried right off the ignition coil and I got nothing.

I run a LINK system, which piggybacks and I unhooked it all and took the car to "stock" and nothing. It's not the LINK.

The ECU was stored separately from the car in a box in a cool, dry room. I opened up the ECU and there is no moisture or corrosion or anything that would sound alarms.

I read and researched around and from what I can figure out I think I've narrowed it down to the CPS (crank position sensor). Would this cause the car not to fire? Is this the only thing that's left? Any other stones I should look under?

My goal was to have the car running for BimmerFest this Saturday but i don't think I'm going to make it for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance!
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

I don't know if would be the crank position sensor, if that were the case you wouldn't get fuel either, the ecu wouldn't see the crank spinning, so no need for fuel or spark, at least thats what happened when mine went bad...

Comment

well......i would start by checking every little cable.....
      Also can you somehow diagnose the ECU?
      I cant see why the crank sensor would go like that (not saying its impossible)

Sounds more like a grounding issue.

Comment

I'll probably try to swap the ECU this week.
        "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan

Comment

so, guys, umm, any other help? pointers? funny jokes?

Comment

Is the coil Bad?you said no spark so you pulled a plug stuck it to the block and no blue spark?
            From what you said need to figure that out first .
            Last edited by Carfantiti; 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM.
            I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me

Comment

I'll give you $8k for it with the Alpina's. =]

Dunno why you parked it so long. They don't like that. Bad gas? check coolant temp sensor resistance? clogged injectors? did you angle the rail towards the passenger side and verify they were all spraying? spark plugs dry and firing?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

He said no spark ^ that would be first problem lol
                He you running the dtm plenum on your silver car ?
                I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me

Comment

maybe a blown fuse?
                  --------------------------------------
                  The God's chariot... (OO==[][]==OO)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carfantiti View Post
                    Is the coil Bad?you said no spark so you pulled a plug stuck it to the block and no blue spark?
                    From what you said need to figure that out first .
                    I've swapped the cap/rotor and I dropped in 2 different coils that are known to be working (off other e30s). Got nothing. Pulled the plug, tested it and no spark.

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
                    I'll give you $8k for it with the Alpina's. =]

Dunno why you parked it so long. They don't like that. Bad gas? check coolant temp sensor resistance? clogged injectors? did you angle the rail towards the passenger side and verify they were all spraying? spark plugs dry and firing?
                    I moved to a loft in DTLA while the wife was in Law School, didn't want to park such a thing in a DTLA parking lot... Then I got married and then I bought a house that I had to rebuild and then I had a kid and between all of that, a lot of work. I literally wasn't by the car at first and then I had no time to get her running. Bimmerfest became motivation to get her going and then this... sucks, but it is what it is.

Anyway.

I drained the gas, which was pretty much empty when it was stored. I put in 2 gallons of new gas, and all sorts of recommended additives.

I haven't checked the coolant temp sensor but how would that cause the car to have no spark? Interesting.

I haven't checked the injectors but I can smell fuel when I try to fire it up. Plus the gas was drained and fuel filter was changed before I even tried to start it. I'll pull up the injectors if there's nothing else. What is this angling trick you speak of?

Spark plugs were dry. Not firing because, well, no spark. lol.

Originally posted by Freude Am Fahren View Post
                    maybe a blown fuse?
                    I checked all the fuses one by one. all are good. I even replaced a couple that seemed like they might be thinking about burning out. Could a bad relay cause this? If so, which relay is it?

Comment

I was just trying to be thorough. Missed the part about you not having spark. If you have no spark at any of the plugs then I would try another DME. Make sure the plug and coil wires are good, etc. Measure resistances for the flywheel sensors and make sure they are within spec.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Have you checked the OBD theft function? The OBD & DME maybe shutting off the ignition.

Mike K.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
                          I was just trying to be thorough. Missed the part about you not having spark. If you have no spark at any of the plugs then I would try another DME. Make sure the plug and coil wires are good, etc. Measure resistances for the flywheel sensors and make sure they are within spec.
                          Wires are good. I opened and checked out the DME, looked good. I didn't have time to swap mine with Rob's so test. Will do that this weekend I guess. The flywheel sensor (CPS right?) was my next guess. What are the specs for it?

Thanks Barry.

Originally posted by Mike K. View Post
                          Have you checked the OBD theft function? The OBD & DME maybe shutting off the ignition.

Mike K.
                          No, didn't know this existed. Elaborate?

My car has a battery-disconnect theft function and I tested that and it works.

Comment

I'm sorry not ODB, E30 On Board Computer (OBC) Anti-Theft feature. I can't remember the details, but the OBC will put the car in anti-theft mode. It either shuts off the ignition or the DME to prevent starting. I would do a search here or google & you find how to defeat it.

Mike K.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K. View Post
                              I'm sorry not ODB, E30 On Board Computer (OBC) Anti-Theft feature. I can't remember the details, but the OBC will put the car in anti-theft mode. It either shuts off the ignition or the DME to prevent starting. I would do a search here or google & you find how to defeat it.

Mike K.
                              I'll look into that, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X