Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car (out of storage) won't start, no spark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one is the tab on the flywheel?
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

There's a raised tab on the flywheel that the crank position sensor needs to get a signal. Sometimes this tab falls off. You will have to peek through the sensor hole on the bellhousing while a helper slowly turns the engine over by hand and verify that the tab exists.

Comment

In the factory manual does it have a checklist for a no start situation?

Chucker
        89 m3 "Ms. Bavaria"..... Cinnabar w/ Black Guts, Evo 2 cam, Miller War Chip, CF Intake, What's a cat?
        12 Avalanche "OJ" ..... Black on Black, Loaded, and Runs
        08 335i "Vanessa" ..... Black with Buckskin guts
        08 Jetta 2.0 Turbo "Joan Jetta"..... Red with Tan Guts

Comment

Hmmmm.....I would have thought that if the ECU wasn't getting info from the reference sensor on the flywheel, both spark and fuel injection would be disabled...

Anyway, could the two sensors on the bell housing be reversed? Might be worth swapping the connectors and giving it a try.

Have you checked the coil yet, to see if it's getting 12V? Or, tried swapping to a known good coil? Seems like you've checked the rest of the ignition system except for the coil...

Comment

Colin, How do I look into that hole? It's on top of the bell housing, no? Can it be viewed from the top (engine bay)?

Whee30M3, I swapped the coil to my friends and I also put a new one on there that I bought. Nothing.

I'll try and go through the last sensor and the wires this weekend. I'll let everyone know.
            "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan

Comment

You're going to have to get under the car and remove the sensor from its hole (there are 2 sensors on the lower bellhousing). IIRC, it's the one towards the back of the car. You'll need a flashlight to peer up into the hole and need to have the engine turned very slowly as it's easy to miss the tab. Or you can insert a dowel and feel for the tab while a helper turns the engine over.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsha007 View Post
                Finally got a chance to work on the car Friday (thanks to Robert for coming over and letting me use his car as a parts bin and test subject).

We swapped out the ecu, plug cables, spark plugs, relays, fuses, etc, etc, etc one by one, putting my parts on Robert's car and his on mine (knowing his car works), just to be thorough.

Turns out that, of course, the only thing that was left to try was the crank position sensor and... that was it!

I'm not sure which one is bad since it comes in a loom and I didn't want to cut apart Roberts so I'm probably going to just replace that whole loom.

Just to help out anyone who has this issue in the future:

- Car had been in storage for a few years
                - Replaced the battery, fuel, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, cap and rotor, oil and oil filter as well as a flushing the coolant.
                - The car wouldn't start but it would turn over.
                - Fuel was present but no spark (tested on the chassis)
                - Crank position sensor was bad.

Hopefully this saves someone hours labor and a massive headache.

Thanks everyone for your help and here's some visual stimulation.

Shah,

If you got the car running here, and now it's not running, I think you need to check that you have all 3 plugs on the firewall where the bellhousing sensors come up installed and match up correctly.

Best,
                -Chris
                Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Chris, It wasn't running.

So, swapped the thrid sensor on the bell housing and I also tested my spark wires (they are good) on another m3. I've officially run out of options.

I did look through the alldata program and it said that there's a anti-theft relay somewhere. I've never ever heard of this but if someone else has, let me know.

Anyway, the car still has no spark. I've changed the cap, rotor, coil, all three bell housing sensors, checked all the relays, checked and swapped all my plugs, checked my spark wires and also tested all my relays.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I want to check the cable that feeds my coil, anyone know if the specs are supposed to be .50/6000?

Comment

Here's a link to the Owners Manual. Look at the bottom of page 35. The OBC has a "Vehicle immobilization for anti-theft protection" function.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173209

Mike K.

Comment

The 3rd sensor on the bellhousing can safely be discarded. It only sends output to the diagnostic connector, and has nothing to do with the running of the car.

The OBC (anti-theft) relay lives behind the ABS computer and looks like this. IIRC you can jumper the two green wires to bypass the relay and see if it starts the car. This is what the OBC relay looks like:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K. View Post
                        Here's a link to the Owners Manual. Look at the bottom of page 35. The OBC has a "Vehicle immobilization for anti-theft protection" function.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173209

Mike K.
                        Mike, that's a great resource! But my OBC code isn't on (at least I don't think it's on...).

Originally posted by ColinM View Post
                        The 3rd sensor on the bellhousing can safely be discarded. It only sends output to the diagnostic connector, and has nothing to do with the running of the car.

The OBC (anti-theft) relay lives behind the ABS computer and looks like this. IIRC you can jumper the two green wires to bypass the relay and see if it starts the car. This is what the OBC relay looks like:

Colin, this is excellent help.

Do you know the jumping order? The color coded wires don't match up, for obvious reasons.

Also, can the relay be discarded if the cables are jumped? Is it a necessary relay (handles anything else)?
                        Last edited by mrsha007; 08-09-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

So I tested the spark plug cables and they were fine. I replaced my main relay (just in case) and the new one is clicking so it's should be fine.

I was working my way through this thread (http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...rt-still/page2) and here's where I am:

- Coil gets 12v and is putting out 12v when the starter is in position 2.
                          - ECU has continuity at pin#1 with the key in the off position.

Still don't have spark.

I don't know how to bypass the antitheft OBC unit.

Any other voltages that I should be checking?

Comment

I believe you can reset the OBC by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes.

Comment

To bypass the OBC relay you jumper the green wire with the green w/red wire. These are the larger wires and are visible in the picture posted above. One comes from the ignition and the other goes two the ECU. If this relay fails even resetting the code will not help. I had an intermittent stall problem on my spec E30 that was tracked to a bad connection at this relay. I found this short by starting at the ECU and measuring voltage at the three wires that must have 12V each for the car to run. Two had greater than 12V one was lower. Followed circuit to OBC relay and found loose connection.

HTH

Michael

Comment

Nice share.Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X