X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold air intake

What do you guys think of this?
    looks good
    i assume it would Hook up where the air box connects to?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...91&postcount=1

The only real difference I see between the stock setup and this one is the AFM is replaced by a MAF. The Evo intake is about as cold as it gets being a straight shot into the airbox that is likely thicker than the carbon thing, through the afm and into the manifold. The only difference I see is the aftermarket thing uses a different shape filter, and the filter is housed in a thin carbon tube with a MAF on the end. I'd guess both will flow about the same assuming there is either an afm or MAF on each (an apples to apples comparison) The Evo version might even keep the air a little cooler as the walls of the filter box are likely thicker. I'm just guessing though.

Will
    '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
    '88 M3

Comment

The E30 M3s stock air intake system is a very good cold air intake. That is why you don't see a lot of aftermarket intakes, outside of when you go MAF/Alpha-N, etc.

If you want to improve, go with the E30 EVO airbox, which leveraged the low pressure zone behind the front bumper. Additional info:
      During it's production, the standard lower section on the E30 M3's air intake was further enhanced for the Evo 2 & Sport Evo model by receiving a larger- smoother flowing lower section, velocity stack and cold air effect that drew air from the low pressure and low turbulence area behind the front bumper.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
      97 Porsche Carrera S
      13 Audi S6
      SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
      GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Yes, the stock setup was good, but the 90 degree bend right at the opening just kills flow. The Evo straight velocity stack that sits in the same place but doesn't have the bend in it. It doesn't get any cleaner. With this setup the only 90 degree bend is where it turns and enters the airbox and intake manifold. Even so, its a large diameter opening and its closest to the lowest air pressure area due to the intakes being right there. You can't get a cleaner or more smooth path of airflow. The carbon thing will be louder, but on an M3 likely won't keep the air as cool since its drawing air from the engine bay rather than from the very front of the car. On a normal E30, the intake path is so long the air will warm simply due to heat soak. The S14 is such a short and straight run, you won't slow the air down as much nor will it become heat soaked as easily.

BMW didn't mess around when they designed the car. They got stuff right the first time because they had to to keep the car winning races.

Will
        '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
        '88 M3

Comment

I think that it's kind of weird that in 4+ years of selling that intake on R3vlimited, no one has posted a dyno chart, intake air temp data logs, or anything else that suggests that this intake makes any improvements over stock. People seem to like the noise it makes, there are a few ass-dyno comments (mostly from the seller), but nothing objective. Personally, I think I'd stick with the EVO setup - you can get all the parts brand new in a kit from Turner for only about 70 bucks more than the R3vlimited stuff, even less of a difference if you can find the parts used...

Comment

Working...
          X