• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drwillb
    Owner Since 2000
    • 30, 4, 2003

Remote oil filter line size

I'm not at all sure what the criteria is choosing plumbing size when doing a remote oil filter. I'm currently looking at some Moroso adapters that use -10 or -12 fittings. How does that sound?
    sigpic

Keeper of the Car
  • Todd black 88
    Registered
    • 18, 9, 2007

Not sure on the AN sizing, but my kit came with 5/8" id hoses, so as long as it won't restrict flow below that, it should be fine.

Comment

• Ironhead
      Super Moderator
      • 18, 1, 2003

Most people use -10...which is ample. You could use -12....no harm in being too large I guess...but the larger the line the less flexible it becomes. This makes routing and packaging more difficult.

Personally I think even -8 would be fine....it is still larger than any oil passage in the engine.... But -10 is certainly proven.

Comment

• jwbavalon
        Registered
        • 5, 1, 2011

Hi, I used -10 and was able to bend it enough to route it between the fuse box (after lifting it up) and the strut tower. Although -10 is not very flexible, I was able to get a smooth arc from the oil housing on the engine to the remote mount by the cruise control unit on the fender. I recommend you get the Koul Tool to install the flex hose on to the AN fittings. It will make things a lot easier and a lot less swearing will be involved. It was almost cheaper than the cost of band aids.

Comment

• drwillb
          Owner Since 2000
          • 30, 4, 2003

Thank you for the responses.

Looks like -10 is the way to go. This will allow no adapters on one end of the hose. I'll probably have a local shop make the hoses as this would be a one-time tool purchase.
          sigpic

Keeper of the Car

Comment

• Whee30M3
            Registered
            • 20, 12, 2009

If you don't need the abrasion resistance of a steel-braided hose, I'd suggest using one of the Kevlar/Aramid/polyester/nylon braided hoses. Much easier to work with - cutting is easy, no stainless steel wires poking holes in your skin. Lighter, more flexible, and the hose doesn't start filing through anything it touches. Should be able to make this into a DIY project, instead of having a shop make up hoses for you....
            Last edited by Whee30M3; 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• drwillb
              Owner Since 2000
              • 30, 4, 2003

SS lines look so cool, though

But kevlar is high tech and if it makes the job easier then I'll go that route.
              sigpic

Keeper of the Car

Comment

• Whee30M3
                Registered
                • 20, 12, 2009

We did a whole fuel system in Goodridge 910 hose and fittings, and IMHO, I think it looked way cooler than stainless steel braided hose...but I have to admit, we did a dry sump setup using a stainless steel hose that had a titanium-colored tracer wire in it (unfortunately, I don't remember the brand of the hose...) that looked really trick, especially since all the fittings we used were black and titanium-colored, instead of the red and blue ones.

Anyway, if you don't mind paying a little bit more, the PTFE hoses out there are really good, and will last just about forever, as long as they aren't being abraded by anything. Easy to work with, too - tight bend radius, you can cut the non-stainless steel braided hose with a sharp pair of snips, no sharp wires poking you, etc...

Comment

• ///schwartzman
                  Gub-na
                  • 24, 6, 2005

-8AN is perfect but if you like the bigger is better mantra... Why not measure the ID of the stock fitting and go from there?
                  Rich!

Comment

• dllance
                    big dummy
                    • 19, 2, 2007

OT but I have a car that the PO added a remore filter setup which I love, but the filter is by the washer bottle on the passanger side of car. I have noticed the oil temps take much longer to get up to temp. I'm guessing due to the long hoses. How can I get them up to temp faster?

Thanks
                    -Darren

Comment

• christsay
                      cog
                      • 18, 11, 2009

Much longer compared to another E30 M3 or much longer than other cars? These cars take a little bit to get their oil temps up to normal operating temps. TADTS.

-chris
                      1988 M3
                      2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

• Ironhead
                        Super Moderator
                        • 18, 1, 2003

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
                        -8AN is perfect but if you like the bigger is better mantra... Why not measure the ID of the stock fitting and go from there?
                        I actually did that. The stock cooler hoses are closest to AN-10. Slightly smaller, but much closer to -10 than to -8. I agree with you though that -8 would almost certainly work just fine.

Originally posted by dllance View Post
                        OT but I have a car that the PO added a remore filter setup which I love, but the filter is by the washer bottle on the passanger side of car. I have noticed the oil temps take much longer to get up to temp. I'm guessing due to the long hoses. How can I get them up to temp faster?

Thanks
                        I don't think that is really the reason for your slower oil warm-up. The remote filter would only add a few ounces of extra oil, and that would add a completely insignificant amount of time to the oil warm up. If it helps, I have to drive around 5 miles before my oil reaches operating temp.

If yours is significantly longer than that, you might have a problem with the oil thermostat....or maybe the PO removed it entirely?

Comment

• dllance
                          big dummy
                          • 19, 2, 2007

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                          I actually did that. The stock cooler hoses are closest to AN-10. Slightly smaller, but much closer to -10 than to -8. I agree with you though that -8 would almost certainly work just fine.

I don't think that is really the reason for your slower oil warm-up. The remote filter would only add a few ounces of extra oil, and that would add a completely insignificant amount of time to the oil warm up. If it helps, I have to drive around 5 miles before my oil reaches operating temp.

If yours is significantly longer than that, you might have a problem with the oil thermostat....or maybe the PO removed it entirely?

I have a oil thermostat on it's way and I'm hoping that will fix it. It takes much longer to get to temp, actually only if I get on the highway and hold an RPM for a good deal of time will it get up to temp. My thought was with the hoses running behind the front bumper it would act as a oil cooler....pretty hard to believe though.

Thanks
                          -Darren

Comment

Working...
                          X