Values of M3 flavors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Values of M3 flavors...

I know this has been discussed in the past but with a dynamic market place things always change and outliers exist but if we're talking about averages... Feel free to take a stab with your gut feeling on what you feel true values are for the following E30 M3s

For each M3 - feel free to provide a range from "average" to "restored/mint or top 10% of its class" in terms of it's condition.

Low Mileage 40-70k - E30 M3 (2.5l) Range: $XX,XXX - $YY,YYY

Low Mileage 40-70k - E30 M3 (2.3)

High Mileage 120-200k E30 M3 (all panels matching)

High Mileage E30 M3 (S14 engine) restored at some point, various panels

RESTO-MOD (S52 engine)

RESTO-MOD (S50B32 Euro Engine)

High End Track Car

Low End Track Rat

Roller (no engine inc.) but interior complete

I know this takes a leap in terms of assumptions but do your best with the typical examples you've seen out there and just supply your low price which represents an Average Example (50% percentile to an A condition top 10% of its kind)

Would love to see your expert opinions and price ranges.

Condition, condition, condition!

Comment

Addressed that, Addressed that, Addressed that.

Thanks for the non-response.

Comment

I think you have a good breakdown as a starting point to "attempt" an analysis of values. The problem is regardless of how much you try to analyze and assign "expected value" given certain criteria there "will always be exceptions". So , some would consider this a waste of time, or merely an exercize. Many of us on here already know what those numbers "may be", but as for me, I hesitate to offer an opinion because I already know I have a car that won't fit into any of your categories, and that certainly doesn't make it less valuable.

Even if a range of values could be assigned to each category, there will always without doubt be exceptions, and in the end any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

John

Comment

my car does not fall in any those catogories .There is moded cars with what you considered high milage with s14 .Like my car with a good 14k in upgrades that are all period correct to a point Evo parts and performance parts.I dont think 200k is high milage so that varies for people to .400-500k would be high milage in my book.I dont feel milage matteres anyways it is condition and maintenance in my book.Yes this been done before do search I know it changes .My biggest complaint is guys who need the cash and sell them to cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!You missed salvaged title cars there is quit a bit them too.
          I need a paint job to be mint and a engine rebuild cuase miles even though it runs strong 198k oem miles.even saying that my car cant be had for under 30k even if you think its worth 18-22
          I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me

Comment

Originally posted by RickySixx6 View Post
            I know this has been discussed in the past but with a dynamic market place things always change and outliers exist but if we're talking about averages... Feel free to take a stab with your gut feeling on what you feel true values are for the following E30 M3s

For each M3 - feel free to provide a range from "average" to "restored/mint or top 10% of its class" in terms of it's condition.

Low Mileage 40-70k - E30 M3 (2.5l) Range: $25-30,000 Assuming it was a 2.3-2.5 conversion rebuild - not too many folks are hot on buying engines that have been rebuilt for various reasons, people seem to favor keeping them stock

Low Mileage 40-70k - E30 M3 (2.3) - $ 25-35,000 depending on body, or all original

High Mileage 120-200k E30 M3 (all panels matching) - $ 15-20,000

High Mileage E30 M3 (S14 engine) restored at some point, various panels - $ 15-20,000

RESTO-MOD (S52 engine) - $ 20,000-35,000 depending on other mods interior/exterior and performance upgrades, magazine featured car, etc

RESTO-MOD (S50B32 Euro Engine) - same as above but prolly $ 25,000-35,000

All depends really whether they're tasteful mods that would appeal to a particular buyer who wants a turnkey purchase
            A ex-member of this forum sold his DTM replica for $50,000 but with all the works from ground up

High End Track Car - $ 15,000-20,000

Low End Track Rat - $ 20,000-25,000

Roller (no engine inc.) but interior complete - $ 5,000-7,000

I know this takes a leap in terms of assumptions but do your best with the typical examples you've seen out there and just supply your low price which represents an Average Example (50% percentile to an A condition top 10% of its kind)

Would love to see your expert opinions and price ranges.
            Just my 2 cents

Comment

I would agree with BingM3's numbers. Two things that seem strange, but true....a 2.5 build cost a good amount but may only bring a 50% increase in price over a stock engined car. Maybe even less. It's one of those things that is nice to have, but doesn't bring the money. The other is the common thought that the swapped cars go for less money. That doesn't seem to be the case though. There have been a handful of cars that have come up for sale with an S52, S50B32 that have all sold for $20k+. The low mileage cars all bring the most money, but I don't think that is a surprise to anyone.

Comment

I think alot of BingM3's numbers are "too low", especially the "slam" on high mileage cars (don't get me started on that one!), and why is a High End Track Car valued less than a Low End Track Rat? (I assume these are reversed). IMO a high mileage original car with the S14 in excellent condition is WAY more valuable than a swapped M3! No comparison! It really is about "condition" and what the buyer wants in the end.
                Last edited by 02fanatic; 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I don't fall in any of those categories. My car has all original panels and engine. Everyday driver, slightly modified, weathered paint, very minor dents, interior dyed black at some point, no service history, clean title. Odometer stopped working and cluster probably replaced at some point. I'm probably around 150-200K miles. For $$$ and collectibility, it's probably on the low end - around $10-12k as is. For enjoyment and character...it's up there! Nothing holding me back from using it.

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
                  E30 M3 Wiki
                  My Youtube Channel
                  E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

Comment

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
                    I think alot of BingM3's numbers are "too low", especially the "slam" on high mileage cars (don't get me started on that one!), and why is a High End Track Car valued less than a Low End Track Rat? (I assume these are reversed). IMO a high mileage original car with the S14 in excellent condition is WAY more valuable than a swapped M3! No comparison! It really is about "condition" and what the buyer wants in the end.
                    The stock high mileage car may be more "valuable" than a swapped car to some, but that hasn't been the case with what has come up for sale. From what has been posted on Autotrader and the misc. forums, the swapped cars still pull $20k plus. These are typically at least mildly restored swapped cars and not M52s or some other less worthy engine, but still.

Comment

Well, asking price and what a car sells for can be very different. I've never read any professional evaluation (especially Mike Miller's many articles on the E30 M3 Market Analysis in Bimmer Mag) of a swapped car having "more value" than an original example. But, in the end it really is what a buyer is willing to pay.

Originally posted by strube View Post
                      The stock high mileage car may be more "valuable" than a swapped car to some, but that hasn't been the case with what has come up for sale. From what has been posted on Autotrader and the misc. forums, the swapped cars still pull $20k plus. These are typically at least mildly restored swapped cars and not M52s or some other less worthy engine, but still.

Comment

I didn't think I needed to say this but I will...

1. The purpose of this is to start a discussion, and it has

2. My attempt wasn't to list every variety of examples. I Know there are other categories I could have created... but I wanted to focus mainly on those I pointed out.

3. The concept of what one asks and what one is willing to pay for can be left unsaid. We all know that. The object is to find a range of what you've seen sell.

Forget the Cars that are in the lower half in terms of condition
                        Forget the outliers,
                        Just focus on the Range from "avg" to top 10% condition in each category brought up.

Bing M3 - Thank you for being the only one to really respond the way I'd hope most would.

1 comment though. ... and this may have been my fault but..

High end Track car was meant to be a "No corners spared high end track car" Low end "Track Rat" was more of a beater Track rat. Don't see how the former would be worth less than the latter.

Did you confuse or swap?
                        Last edited by RickySixx6; 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

IMO the $15K rule is now the $23K rule for S14-powered street cars.
                          John 3:17

Comment

Here ya go!

Low Mileage 40-70k - E30 M3 (2.5l) Range: $25,000 - $35,000

Low Mileage 40-70k - E30 M3 (2.3): $35,000 - $45,000

High Mileage 120-200k E30 M3 (all panels matching): $20,000 - $30,000

High Mileage E30 M3 (S14 engine) restored at some point, various panels: $25,000 - $35,000

RESTO-MOD (S52 engine): $20,000 - $30,000

RESTO-MOD (S50B32 Euro Engine): $25,000 - $32,000

High End Track Car: $35,000 - $45,000

Low End Track Rat: $15,000 - $25,000

Roller (no engine inc.) but interior complete: $5,000 - $7,500

Comment

You forgot Salvaged Titled category.
                              There not collectible but make great guilt free daily drivers.
                              There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Working...
                              X